Piper Pacer Generator to Alternator Conversion STC

Piper Pacer Generator to Alternator Conversion STC

I have a 1959 Piper Pacer with Lycoming engine. I am seriously considering of replacing the Gen. with an updated Alternator. What should I expect in cost for replacement?

Thanks,

E.W. Mickey

Scott Sherer
N344TB - Piper Seneca
Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator

ssherer@wi.rr.com
Forum Moderator and Author
useravatar
426 Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Piper Pacer Generator to Alternator Conversion STC

Thanks for writing.  Here's the first part of the response:  http://www.plane-power.com/Fit_Guide.php .  I'll get with Piper Owner Societies A&P Erich Rempert to find out more. Stand by

Scott Sherer
N344TB - Piper Seneca

ssherer@wi.rr.com
useravatar
426 Posts
User info in posts

Re: Piper Pacer Generator to Alternator Conversion STC

Dear Mr. Mickey,
Here's what I just got back from our mechanic, Erich Rempert:
Replacing a generator with an alternator is a great upgrade for any airplane.  Years ago I upgraded my airplane to an alternator, however I believe it was an InterAv kit rather than the Plane Power. That said, over the years I have done several retrofit mods for starters and alternators and have found the kits to be very high quality with great instructions and very helpful tech support. As for time to install, every airplane is different, and some are more difficult than others but if I were scheduling this job I'd assume it could be flown in, do the job and you could fly home the same day provided there wasn't some unexpected issue, (mainly like the wiring being too short to reach the new locations on the alternator, or the wiring being in such poor condition I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it as it.)

A guess would be 4-6  man hours for a good mechanic, maybe less maybe more depending on the factors above. When ordering call and talk to a person, confirm you are getting the right kit, that the kit is eligible for your airplane (STC'd), and ask what you can expect for installation time.  The manufacturers usually have that stuff memorized.  Also make sure your kit comes with a new voltage regulator, that's really the "other half" of the charging system and should be updated along with the alternator. And don't forget to file a 337, while the kit should be STC'd that's its basis for approval, the mod is still an alteration requiring the 337.

Just the view from my hangar~

~Erich Rempert, A&P Consultant

Scott Sherer
N344TB - Piper Seneca

ssherer@wi.rr.com
useravatar
426 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info