Apace PA-23 Hydraulic problem

Apace PA-23 Hydraulic problem

I need help with analyzing a problem with the Hyd system in my Apache PA-23.

I added 2qts of fluid to the system, then departed from MRN for a test flight. Gear retraction was normal with a “gear up” white light illuminated. After a minute or so the light went out. I raised the gear handle  and the light came back on, but the handle did not move to the neutral  position as it should have.
On approach to GMU the gear extended, but the flaps would not operate. No leakage was  observed from the hyd system after landing. After departing GMU, the same conditions prevailed once again. The gear retracted, but the handle did not move to the neutral position. About 10 mins into the flight the gear began to sag, and evetually sagged to full extension. Trying to retract the gear was fruitless. During approach, when I put the gear handle down, the nose gear would not extend fully, nor would the flaps operate. I had to use the CO2 bottle to fully extend the gear.

I put the aircraft on jacks and using the manual pump, tried to operate the gear and flaps. Nothing would work.

I drained the power pack, removed the power pack and sent it to be overhauled. I now have the power pack reinstalled and serviced with fluid. After all that, the gear and flaps still will not operate.

I am at a loss. The gear and flaps seem to be separate systems. Something in the hyd system is preventing both the gear and flaps from operating.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stan Beach

Scott Sherer
N344TB - Piper Seneca
Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator

ssherer@wi.rr.com
Forum Moderator and Author
useravatar
426 Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Apace PA-23 Hydraulic problem

Hi Stan,
Please stand by while I forward your email to our association A&P Erich Rempert.

Scott Sherer
N344TB - Piper Seneca

ssherer@wi.rr.com
useravatar
426 Posts
User info in posts

Stan,

I just had to check to see if it had an engine driven hyd pump, which it should.  This issue was likely caused by a weak / failing hyd pump. It can't build pressure or flow fluid to properly actuate the gear and flaps. OH the powerpack introduced air into the system that servicing the hyd system to "full" did not bleed out of the system to the hand pump. Engine driven pump should be on the LH engine. I'd be very vigilant for contaminants in the fluid from the failed pump. change the fluid and filters etc, and bleed the system then check it with a mule. After this is done the hand pump should work again, and with the new engine pump OH the other symptoms should disappear.

~Erich Rempert, A&P Consultant

Scott Sherer
N344TB - Piper Seneca

ssherer@wi.rr.com
useravatar
426 Posts
User info in posts

Problem solved
Left gear strut was not extending to de-activate the anti retract valve.

sbeachjr
useravatar
2 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks so much for the update.

Scott Sherer
N344TB - Piper Seneca

ssherer@wi.rr.com