Main Landing Gear Issues PA-28-151

Main Landing Gear Issues PA-28-151

Hi all,

I am the new owner of a 74 Pa-28-151.  So far I have flown it 40-50 hours. In the past 5 landings I've had 2 flat tires.  Both on rollout and both with no damage to the tire just the tube.  Both tubes look to be in good shape, not dry rotted.  The book says to keep the tires at pressure of 26 I believe...this seems low.  Could the tire be rotating on the bead?  Something is twisting these tubes...incidentally both landings were absolute greasers making me wonder if it is twisting the tires themselves...Ideas please?  Thanks!

Paul

pkohler2@new.rr.com
useravatar
5 Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Main Landing Gear Issues PA-28-151

Wow, this is quite an interesting question.  I've been flying all kinds of airplanes for 50 years and I've never had a flat.  Let me run this by our A&P Erich Rempert and let him weigh in.  Stand by.

Scott Sherer
N344TB - Piper Seneca
Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator

ssherer@wi.rr.com
Forum Moderator and Author
useravatar
539 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you sir!

Paul

pkohler2@new.rr.com
useravatar
5 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Paul,
Here's a response from our A&P:
Paul,

If the book calls for 26 psi then it's not too low!  That said, you should be able to Google max pressure ratings for your tire and tube size.

It sounds to me like the tubes have seen many tires.  It is always recommend to replace the tube when you do a tire. Some people don't and have no problems, arguing that the tube is proven so why take a chance on a new unproven tube?  Others say once the tube is inflated it stretches permanently and if put into a new tire will be "too big" and likely get pinched or roll over inside the tire causing a future failure and balance issues.

I'm on the fence, if the tube is of unknown age and history or looses air (nitrogen) I'd replace it *(I'm doing my nose tire today and I opted to replace the tube). However if the tube was new last year and has been holding pressure great etc I'd be tempted to reuse it. I always ask my customers for their preference on this unless the tube looks bad.

Either way use a bunch of baby powder and bounce the tire by hand while spinning it in each direction. You can't do that too much. Just make sure the stem stays straight by alternating direction of spin, and use Nitrogen not shop air!

If you believe the tire is moving on the wheel, put a mark on the tire and rim and do some take offs and landings then check your alignment mark to check for slippage.  That said, the real test is to look at your valve stem and make sure it's straight, if it isn't the tube has rotated on the rim and is stressing the valve stem which will cause leaks or a blow out.

When you pulled the bad tubes out of the blown tires did you inspect them to see where the leak was?  Where was it?  If you have replaced the tubes they should be fine for the life of the tire, if they blow again, I'd sharpen my pencil; maybe look for something sharp inside the rim...

Just the view from my hangar ~
~Erich

Scott Sherer
N344TB - Piper Seneca
Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator

ssherer@wi.rr.com
Forum Moderator and Author
useravatar
539 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks for the ideas...I will keep an eye on the valve stems.  I will change the nose wheel tube at annual in October just to be safe.  Take care!

Paul

pkohler2@new.rr.com
useravatar
5 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today: