Fuel valve Overhaul

Fuel valve Overhaul

I need to get my fuel valve O/H. It's a 1H26-4.  Anyone have any recommendations?  Thanks for your help!

Fly Safe,

Mike

useravatar
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Fuel valve Overhaul

Not familiar with the part number.  What plane is that from?

flyguydon
useravatar
1032 Posts
User info in posts

Its from a 71 Cherokee 235

useravatar

The soft parts for these valves are very proprietary and can't be easily purchased so if your valve can't be cleaned/repaired and truly needs to be rebuilt, your options are almost nonexistent.

B & S Aircraft. (bsaircraft.com)
Prepare to hate l.ife

useravatar

The 1H26 series was replaced by the 1H65 series.

1H26-2    AIRBORNE    VALVE-NLA    492-104    USE 760-895
760-895 PIPER           KIT-VALVE       1H65-4  PIPER 492-290

useravatar

Boy you hit the nail on the head.  B&S or BS take your pick wants $1200.00 for a overhaul!!!!  I think its TWO O rings, are you kidding me.  Went to my Local FBO and they are doing it for a fraction of the cost.  I will repost if I have success so other people that have this problem have a reasonable option. 

Mike

useravatar

I haven't had a chance to check out the kit that Mark mentioned yet (and I'm only familiar with the valve in my plane). Besides o-rings (One is square), I would think the kit would include balls, springs and seats. The seats are usually the cause of leakage and it's them, and the square o-ring that Parker has chosen to make available thru limited sources only. (although I have heard the o-rings can be purchased in quantities of 100)

useravatar

If this selector is for a fuel injected engine it is very complex inside. The first question that comes to mind is how lucky do you feel about someone working on your fuel selector that is not doing it in a certified shop. Any A&P mechanic can probably mull through it, but if a mistake is made and the engine quits during flight how much money have you saved. The last one I had apart, there were check balls, washers  and springs everywhere and without a manual for reference where does one start the reassembly process. I personally do not hang my license out that far as there are shops that specialize in this.

useravatar

Point well taken and I too would never try to save moeny over safety.  With that being said I will make sure that the entire overhaul is complete.  My Shop has done several of these overhauls over the years and has the complete manual exploded on the exact unit.  My plane is carborated and apparently this is a pretty simple process.  I really appreciate and value all the comments and you can bet that I will be doing a little more research before that unit goes back into the plane.

Mike

useravatar

Even though the 235 is carbureted, I assume Piper used the same (or similar) valves on F.I. Cherokee 6's and if so, that point is moot but "Very Complex"? Come on, there's no magic here. I guess everyone has their own thoughts on the complexity of certain mechanical apparatus and knowing one's own limitations is ALWAYS a good thing but personally, I wouldn't feel too comfortable flying in a plane that was maintained by an A&P that wasn't capable of re-assembling one of these valves correctly and testing it afterwards.

useravatar

The fuel "selector" valve has nothing to do with whether it is fuel injected or carburetor. It is the valve that selects the tank.

Ya, they may be complicated looking....but they are doable. I've done one.

useravatar

Well, got some not so good news when we pulled the fuel valve apart.  There is corrosion exactly where one of the gaskets seats in.  So now I think I may have to send it in to be evaluated and/or look for another used one or ouch please tell me not a new one?  Anyone have suggestions?

Mike

useravatar

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User: