Cherokee 235 1970: Fuel burn

Cherokee 235 1970: Fuel burn

Dear Piper fans,

In my search for a cross-country, 3+1 pax PA28, I finally gave up with Archers and Arrows III/IV (unless good price surprises). I was not able to find a plane in satisfactory condition at a price that fits within my budget (45k€, so 60k$).

Remaining in short list are:
- a 1800 hours nice 1969 Arrow, with almost runout engine and prop on condition, all working but old avionics. Will need overhaul.
- a 1300 hours 235 fully loaded with avionics (king), STEC-50, moving Map, S-Mode TX, Fresh paint and interior (2004)

The maintenance records of the 235 are great, anyway the POH is very light and does not give any clue about the fuel burn when properly leaned.
I would like to know the fuel burn at 130KTAS around 7k, safely leaned. Fuel is at 10$/USG over here...

The cost of the last 100Hrs/annual was 3000€, equivalent to 3000$ in USA (everything is more expensive in Europe...), seems 2 spark plugs were changed +  fuel/oil hoses where changed. Is the 235 more expensive due to 6 cylinders, or the Arrow due to gear? Seems the overhauls are at the same price.

Thanks for your help, that's good not to be alone in a quest that I never thought it could be so difficult!

Francois

Edited By: francois57
2010-10-10 08:20:46

francois57
useravatar
31 Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Cherokee 235 1970: Fuel burn

My 1975 235 Pathfinder uses about 14 gph even after I lean it. This includes all phases of flight.

Machine
useravatar
2 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks Machine. No free lunch... you pay quite a lot for the huge payload, and looks the extra gear maintenance of an Arrow would be a better deal for the same speed, at least for 10$/USG. I would be unlucky if the gear would cost so much.
Hard decision anyway... I was wondering if giving up with a couple of knots could significantly reduce the fuel flow.

francois57
useravatar
31 Posts
User info in posts

francois57 wrote:

Hard decision anyway... I was wondering if giving up with a couple of knots could significantly reduce the fuel flow.

In some cases leaning enough will cost you a few knots but the fuel savings is usually worth it. Whatever plane you get, I recommend getting an engine analyzer installed if it isn't already so you can accurately keep track of your CHTs and not lean so much that one of your cylinders gets too hot.

Machine
useravatar
2 Posts
User info in posts

Holy smokes $10/gallon will put a damper on flying.  If you can give us an idea of which model(s) you are more interested in and some of the necessary equipment you would like to have installed (basically what key things you are looking for) as well as your price range, then maybe myself or someone in the Piper community knows of something for sale or can find something for you.

Piper Tech
useravatar
401 Posts
User info in posts

The owners manual for the 236 gives:

75% - 135 KTAS, 12.7 gph
65% - 125 KTAS, 10.9 gph
55% - 113 KTAS, 9.3 gph

with mixture leaned to peak EGT.  I operated my Dakota "lean until rough, then enrich until it smooths" and saw fuel consumption and speeds consistent with the manual.  Cruise speed on a 235 should be comparable - possibly a couple of knots different due to the different wing.

An important difference between the Arrow and the 235 or 236 is carrying capacity.  Generally the Arrow will have lower payload as it has to carry around the extra weight of the retractable gear.  Check the actual empty weight of each plane you're looking at and compare.

Regards,
Joe
PA32-301

JoeB
useravatar
465 Posts
User info in posts

JoeB: Unfortunatly the 236 has a more efficient version of the 0540. Finally got a 235 POH and it shows 14 at 75%, 11.5 at 65% and 10.3 at 55%.
So looks like 11.5gph at 125kts (speed of a 180 burning 10,5, so finally only 1 usg more). Can 235 owners confirm this ?

Piper Tech: I'm looking for:
Minimum:
- 935 lbs payload min for a 10.5 gph plane (645 lbs pilot + pax, 2 hours of fuel + reserve 1 hour => 187 lbs fuel, 100lbs of luggage)
Optimum:
- 645 lbs pilot + pax, 3 hours of fuel + reserve 1 hour, 133 lbs luggage

And max speed for the fuel burned, legs are between 270 and 400NM (in case of 400 we can have a pit stop when flying with 4 in the plane). That's why Arrows 200 with the short body have my preference. Not so obvious to buy such an old plane from USA to Europe, because of taxes (30%), travel and re-registration costs. This is likely to kill the huge price gap.

Francois

francois57
useravatar
31 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today: