Metco aire wing tips

Metco aire wing tips

I am planning to put metco air tips on my straight-wing Cherokee 180.  The only negative comment I have had is from an experienced pilot who says that it will have a very negative effect on x-wind landings due to the tendency to float and not "set" down on the runway like it currently does. Can anyone out there answer this from real experience? Especially someone who has actually changed his plane from a stock wing tip to the metcos?  Thanks for your input.   Robert

useravatar
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Metco aire wing tips

I've made about a thousand gusty crosswind landings in a Cherokee 140 with Metco tips and never had any problem with float.  It still "sets down" just as solidly as a stock rounded tip equipped plane, except the ailerons feel much more authoritative throughout the landing and flare. You'll get used to the Metcos in no time, and you'll love them too.

useravatar

I think that the Metco Aire tips are just about the best value you can get in a mod for straight wing pipers.  I put them on my PA28-180 about 2 years ago and notices better climb, better cruise speed and excellent low speed handling.

Yes, it's true that the plane will develop more of a float tendency if you continue to land it at the same book speeds.  These tips have a considerable effect on lowering stall speed, so you will need to learn how to land the plane all over again (as you would with any mod), but once you master it, you'll be suprised by how much better the plane flies.

I also have flap and aileron gap seals and I also recently added LFS Speed Pants, so my straight wing cherokee feels like a Semi-Taper wing Archer II while landing, but I still get the rock solid steadiness of a straight wing during cruise.

Like I said, I think these tips are the best value.  I looked at the Knots-2-U tip with the landing lights, which definately look better, but the Metco-Aire tips offer the best performance gain and at $650 for the set (including shipping) they are quite a good value.

The following articles from Metco's site are pretty good, and from my own experience, I can attest that the claims in these articles are not unreasonable:

http://www.metcoaire.com/technical/tech_reviews.shtml

Daniel Torres
useravatar
44 Posts
User info in posts

I'll echo the sentiments of those above. I had Metco's on my 180 for the past several years (just replaced them with LoPresti's), and have nothing but good things to say about them. The only reason I changed was go get more forward light (with lighted wingtips) for my frequent night flying...but that's a different subject!

I never experienced anything but rock solid flying with the Metco's...and she settled onto the runway like..uh, a hershey bar 180...in other words, like a rock.  I never have any issue with crosswind landings...none. 

For my money, they're the best bang for the buck...

Garnett

useravatar

Thanks to everyone for your info on your experience with the metco wing tips.  I hope to get them on in December.  I feel much better about the x-wind landings. The company has been excellent to deal with.     Robert

useravatar

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
beetill@aol.com