convert PA28-235 to 260 HP

convert PA28-235 to 260 HP

I am currently overhauling the engine on my PA-28-235  (O-540-B4B5)  I want to convert it to and O-540 E4B5 which is simply using the high compression pistons.  I will also have to change the prop blades for the higher horsepower engine due to a lack of vibration data on the current blades as per Hartzell engineers.  Basically I will be putting the same power plant prop combo that is on Cherokee 6 – 260’s.  I have been told that this has been done a field approved.  I spoke to a guy in Alaska who knew of “10 or so that had been converted”.  He was supposed to send me some tail numbers, but so far I have not seen them.  My mechanic said that he is willing to get a field approval if I can get the tail numbers of planes where it has been approved before.  I would appreciate any information that can help me find planes that have been converted.

Carl

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

useravatar
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: convert PA28-235 to 260 HP

Carl.  I believe copies of a 337 can be found at www.pa28.com.  That's a website dedicated just to our 235's.  There's a lot of useful info on the site.

Good luck.  Let me know what you find out!

paulnptld
useravatar
18 Posts
User info in posts

That's Tom Block's conversion to 250 hp.
Greg Illes conversion to 260 hp is not shown.
Nor is Greg's installation of a Comanche 260 exhaust.
And Bill's installation of an under floor storage compartment in the baggage compartment doesn't seem to be there anymore either.
JimC

useravatar

I've heard that increased HP can be obtained simply by adjusting the prop governor to allow a higher rpm. Of course the extra rpm is not normally used so there really is no problem. Be sure to reset before the next annual. Oh, and your wings will fall off.

useravatar

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
FredTKraiger@aol.com