Anyone use AvBlend?

I read the article in the POS magazine about Shawn Tucker's engine failure and it made me curious about this product. Any experience.

http://www.avblend.com/

Thanks

Comments

• I recently found that thread also, to funny. I might give the camguard a try, not sure.
  • At a recent maintenance class for Mooneys, the instructor (Jerry Manthey) gave nothing but praise for AvBlend and since his experience and wisdom spans decades and many different planes, I tend to trust it. He also said that when he used it in his car he saw an IMMEDIATE 4 mpg increase. So I'm going to give it a try.

As to cost, Spruce has it for $16/can so it's not the $20-24 people quote above. And seriously, if an extra $24 per oil change seems like a lot, well, aviation has many bigger surprises in store for you! (Admittedly, a six-cyl engine requires two cans, so that would be as much as $48.)
  • There really is nothing good or bad I can say about Avblend. I agree that if you use good oil and change it every 50 hours you are good. I admit to putting a little MMO in my oil at times, and before a longer XC I might put some in the fuel.
    I have some Camguard that I got a good deal on from eBay. All I can say about that is it smells. On high power climbs you can smell it in the cockpit a little bit. Not bad, just noticeable. In cruise it is not there.
    The only thing I can say with all certainty with oil related things is this. On my Arrow, if I am using the semi synthetic oil (either Aeroshell 15w-50 or Exxon Elite 20w-50) my prop governor is much smoother. There is less resistance in the lever. Summer or Winter ( I live in Florida).
  • I've heard by far more people that after they swithed to 15-50 their high oil temps went down and the plane started better in cold weather. I think it is about another $1 per qt though.