Portable Oxygen Systems

Jim sent this to me in private message but I'll post my reply here as others might have input and/or benefit.

Sent by: 78TARROW 2010-08-05 13:37:09

PK,
I have high regard for your opinion and was curious if you had a recommendation for a portable O2 system. I'm looking at 2 users max and below 18,000ft.
Regards,
Jim
Hi Jim

I haven't researched O2 systems lately since I already have one and don't use it enough to justify its replacement but here are the basics:

Below 18,000, canulas are the way to go as they save quite a bit of O2 compared to constant flow masks (but a flow meter and flow restrictor are needed). To further save O2, there 3 basic "conservation" systems.

Reservoir cannulas that "store" the O2 flows between breaths

Mechanical pulse regulators

Electronic pulse regulators

The reservoir cannulas (Oxisaver) are the cheapest and can be retrofitted to existing systems (that's what I use).

The pulse regulators can save alot of O2 but are expensive and only available as a complete system.

Above 18,000, masks are required and even higher (25,000’), pressure demand O2 systems (think jet fighter mask) are required.

Hope that helps.

PilotKris

Comments

• Appreciate the info & I do intend to purchase a portable O2 system pretty soon. I asked Mountain High for some specifics on their regulator and never got a response. I've seen the SkyOx up close but haven't used it.

PK has had some 'right on the money' technical takes on a number of things of interest to me. I try to sift through the philosophical opinionating that surfaces from any number of sources in these forums. Hot air is generally a performance inhibitor in aviation.
  • I'm looking for O2 to support some longer trips I make several times per year. 14-15 man hrs at ~15kft would enable a complete round trip without chasing a fill. A guy on the field has a cascade set-up in his hangar and fills can be had for peanuts at home.

A buddy at work bought a SkyOx system at Sun 'n Fun but hasn't put enough time on it to render an opinion beyond "It's something else to manage and be aware of and you need to put some thought into placing/routing the tubes.
  • I believe one of the biggest concerns in using non aviation breathing oxygen is the presence of water. Obviously any water in the oxygen could freeze (if there is water in it), giving the potential for no air flow or a freezing regulator. Yeah your right everyone has their opinion on what one should or should not do, but I would err of the side of safety.
  • I have not heard that they were all the same, Ive olny used it if it said Aviatiors Breathing Oxygen on the tank, but maybe things have changed....can anyone confirm or deny this?
    If you decide to do your own servicing, make sure that your wrenches and hands or anything else in the vacinity has no oil on it, as pure o2 is extremly flammable. One thing to consider also if you do decide to service your own o2, is that as you start using the o2 you will never be able to get the pressure up in your tank, so you will either need to keep a spare tank on hand to get the pressure up a little higher, or better yet, invest in an oxygen pump, then you would only need 1 tank on hand.
  • Piper Tech wrote:
    I believe one of the biggest concerns in using non aviation breathing oxygen is the presence of water. Obviously any water in the oxygen could freeze (if there is water in it), giving the potential for no air flow or a freezing regulator.

This was true back when the industrial gas specifications were first laid out in the early half of the last century. Oxygen was produced either by chemical processes or by electrolysis - both of which involved water. Once the rocket and silicon age got going, liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen began to be produced in bulk by compression. You need liquid nitrogen to produce chips, and liquid oxygen is a byproduct of liquid nitrogen production. In this country all bulk oxygen for the last 30 years (at least) has been produced by warming up liquid oxygen. At -183°F any water was frozen out long before the product shipped anywhere. Modern aviation, medical, and industrial oxygen are all the same thing - warmed up liquid oxygen, frequently from the same tank. There's zero water in it.

Regards,
    Joe
  • Interesting Joe, Any idea on why they continue to classifly them sepreatly still?

Tom
  • Tradition and inertia. The current gasses vastly exceed all the old quality specs. The specs are still valid, though, as minima. Apparently nobody thought it worthwhile to rewrite them. The specs are also still relevent in economies that don't have access to carloads of liquid oxygen. Plumbing fittings may also have something to do with it. Different fittings are standard for industrial, medical, and aviation oxygen I believe.

Regards,
    Joe