140 seat backs

Does anyone have 337 paperwork for a 140 to convert the front seat(s) to the newer style with the hand crank or gas strut that control the up and down position. Another Piper member is trying to put a newer style seat in his 68' 140, and has not had any luck finding a STC for this.

Thank you

Tom

Comments

• He should be aware that the diameter of the floor rail mounting holes is different (smaller) for the new seats and some new holes will need to be added aft of the old ones. The old ones will need to be bushed to the correct diameter. I don't know of any 337's to accomplish this, but I expect it has been don before.
  • Thanks Jim, I didnt realize that the rails were different sizes....t good information!! I will be sure to pass this info onto him, even if I cant find someone that has done the 337.
  • The rails are the same size; it is the pin receiver hole diameters that are smaller diameter and placed further aft along the rails. The old rails work with the new seats with the addition of a few new holes and bushing the old ones. Also, Cherokee Six seats look the same, but the mounting rails are further apart, so seats for the Six can't be used in a 28.