PA-32-260 prop control issue

I pulled out our Cherokee (1965 PA32-260) this morning to fly and while doing the runup the prop control was really stiff (pulling it back and pushing it back in). The prop control has always been a little on the stiff side since we bought the plane 2 months ago. The Vernier works fine (smooth) but it almost takes both hands to do the prop exercise during the runup. Inflight the prop/governor/prop control work just great - holds rpm perfectly, etc. Well today when i advanced the throttle to full for takeoff the rpm stayed at about 1900 or so and that was it. The prop control was set as far forward as it would go. Obviously i aborted the T.O. and did another full throttle runup with the same result - rpm no higher than 1850-1900. Taxied back to the hangar and pulled out the Cessna!:D

So...my question is: Does this sound like a prop control issue or a prop governor issue? There is no oil leaking from around the governor and it has worked without a hitch for the 2+ months that we have owned the plane.

Comments

• I didnt have time this morning to disconnect the linkage but I did this evening. What I found was exactly what i had suspected (and hoped for!). The governor control moved freely and normally. When i exercised the prop control it was still very stiff and mad a grinding noise!. So, a new prop control will be ordered tomorrow!! The only problem is that McFarlane only sells prop control cables for the 32-300 (not the 260). I use McFarlane quite a bit and all their stuff is very high quality, im just surprised that they dont sell the control cable for the 260. Oh well I'll get a new one some how and have my IA install it this week.
  • True you might be able to lube it and get it going again. Dow Corning 33 (DC-33) makes a lube that works well in extreme temps that should work nicely. It comes in a tube similiar to RTV.
  • I finally located a new prop control cable. Unfortunately, McFarlane doesnt (yet) manufacture prop cables for the 260. They will make one based on the customer's measurements, etc but then it requires a 337. No thanks. The only option was to order it directly thru Piper for $417 and then another $100 to pay my IA to install it (with my help).

I did not try to lube the old one as it was (in my and my IAs opinion) WAY too far gone for that to make a difference. The new one works nice and smooth!!

Im realizing how difficult it is to find parts for Pipers - at least for older Cherokees. I know mine is an early (the earliest) model Cherokee Six but still...!! It seems Cessna parts are much easier (and often cheaper) to obtain.
  • Your A&P is probably right, I would bet that it has never been changed so its most likely time anyway. Yes the Piper parts tend to cost more (for whatever reason) than Cessna, but even they are getting pricey.