And the winner is (or should be)... 1966 PA28-180

After looking at Archers (too expensive in the condition I wanted), long body PA28-180 (legroom but not enough payload), Arrows (too much maintenance) and PA28-235 (too much fuel, remember fuel is at 10$/Gallon in Europe), I settled for a 1966 PA28-180 with digital radios, VOR, ADF, Piper Autopilot with heading tracking, 500H on a good engine overhaul and 0 on prop, no corrosion, all ADs/SBs, fresh hoses and vac pump, 3 years old Spar inspection.
The paint and interior are still ok (plane has 3000H and flies regularly since the overhaul) but we will take advantage of the "no corrosion" status to do a partial paint to the new Piper Scheme + brand new 2 tone leather/vinyle interior.

I hope the pre-buy will be OK, that was a 6 months search...

Comments

• I think you made a good choice. I would recommend adding some of the speed mods that might be allowable under EASA rules. By then flying at stock cruise speeds, you can substantially reduce your fuel burn. What national registry is your plane?
  • The plane is currently Danish but will be transferred to British register. Paint and interior will be done in UK, Engine was done in UK as well in 2003.

Francois
  • mini_Front-Quarter.jpgI assume it is a 'C' model (with the hump in the top of the glareshield and the fiberglass cowl). I fly a 'C' model and have a strong affinity for the C's. Take a look at the Aviation Creations website for some attractive ideas about custom interior seat upholstery.
    I also recommend the Isham STC for addition of the third side window.
  • Yes, this is a "C", and we are currently looking with the family for paint schemes and interior ideas. We'll have a look at this WebSite.

You say you have a strong affinity with the "Cs": what's so special with them, except they are priced a bit lower than post 68s models with the third window and the quadrant ?
  • That's it exactly. I like the fact that they are priced lower and perform as well as the later models. I also recommend the Isham STC for the later style dorsal fin -- doing away with the small 'Nixon nose' dorsal fin. I added a photo of mine to my post above to illustrate the Isham 3rd window STC.
  • This is maybe a stupid question... where are the cabin vents in the "C" model ? I fear that fresh air only comes from the lower vents, which is uncomfortable.
  • The intakes are.in the leading edges of the wings. The four cabin outlets are near the feet. The cabin exhaust is an overhead vent above and slightly behind the pilot's head.
  • Isn't it too uncomfortable ? I was used to Warrior overhead vents, and did always fly with lower vents closed. Once tried an Archer without overhead vents working, and broken lower ones (air was coming directly on the feet), the pax didn't like it.
  • I found the overhead vents in my previous plane (a Warrior) nearly useless and never used them. The floor vents can be aimed wherever you want and create a pretty good flow.
  • Apparently they aren't, which is odd. Mr serial # is near 3500, about in the middle of the range. About where is yours.
  • There were changes in the cabin skins at serial numbers 1761 and 2478. I haven't identified the differences yet, but your serial number and mine appear to be in the same group -- I'm curious about this.
  • I have serial number 2767 (a 1965 180C), and the vents are the same as Jim C's. I have no complaints about their functionality.

Congratulations on your purchase Francois. I'm biased, of course, but I think you made an excellent choice.
  • Thanks guys, this site was a great help to make this difficult choice. The pre-buy starts on Thursday, hoping everything will be fine. Then we add 2 tone leather seats/panels/instrument panel and do a modern paint scheme. I'm in contact with knots2u because they already have an EASA record for the fairings, and that's the cheapest solution given the plane has the original wheel pants. Do any other speed mod worth the money ?
  • Art Mattson's mod are well worth the money.
    Look at
    WWW.pipermods.com
  • Waiting for the final report, but seems the pre-buy revealed a very good and corrosion-free airframe. And knots2U wheel fairings can be mounted with EASA approval (that's not a first case), for a few kts more (they claim for 5mph, I count on 2-3 kts). Starts to sound good...