oil temp

I have a pa28-181 with about 200 smoh. I've noticed on cruise climb (87 kts)and at cruise (65%) power, the oil temp is near the top of the green. On descent it is around 180. Is this normal? This is central and southeast Texas.

Comments

• I have a 161 in the Houston area and don't see the temps that high except maybe in August. There is an oil cooler winterization plate (mine disappeared probably at an annual) for the oil cooler. Check that that is not installed. It would be a plate over part of the oil cooler.
  • If there is no plate installed, then look into the oil cooler. Has it ever been changed?
  • Calibrate your oil temp gauge. Make sure it is giving you good data before you assume your oil is hot.
  • The cooler plate is not installed. According to the logs the oil cooler is original. Mechanic is going to check gauge and something he called a "thermistor". We'll see.
  • Yep, he's checking the right things first. The thermistor is just a sensor that changes the resistance and sends the signal to the gauge, and in this case, the temp of the oil is what dictates how much resistance, which = your gauge reading.