SpeedPants

I just bought a set of speedpants. I will preface this by saying I have not had a chance to call for an explanation about what I recieved, my A&P did call. Right now, I am perplexed and I guess this is a case of buyer beware and let others know what to expect when you purchase a product.

I looked at the Laminar product and the LoPresti product. I did purchase the LoPresti tips a few months back and recieved what I expected. The tips were finished to the point of being primered and fit was pretty good from what I was told. That was 1 up for them. However, this far into the project and a rediculous amount of money spent to date on my cherokee, the dollars became a driving force. I called Laminar Flow and decided to purchase their speedpants, gaps seals and hinge fairings. As I remember, I was informed that the pants were painted in a white gelcoat and were ready to install. What I recieved:

The wheel pants were somewhat painted white, including the tape that was used to hold the 2 halves of the pant together, I guess when they fiberglassed them together. Yes, the tape was painted instead of being removed. The pant is molded in 2 pieces, top and bottom halves. To correct this, I will remove the tape, sand and smooth, then put a real coat of paint on them.

The door for access to the valve stem looks like it was free handed. Really sloppy work. Probably with some filler and since it is not easily seen due to the curvature of the pant, the sloppy door will be hidden.

When my mechanic inquired about the apparent lack of quality for the amount of money spent, he was told that most people install these when doing other work and they get repainted anyway. Since I was told they were gel-coated white, I was expecting to recieve a product that would be usable and not look too bad until I get the plane painted probably next year. I would have much rather recieved them sanded and primed well than recieved the sloppy stuff I got. Oh, and the door, the answer was that they had an "80 year old man" doing the work and that is the best they can do. He also told my mechanic they haven't sold any of these pants in 3 years. I wonder why??? When $3000 is spent on wheelpants or anything else, what level of quality would you expect? I haven't seen the LoPresti product, but if it is shipped out as good as my tips were shipped out and that is considered a first quality product, I guess the cost of a second rate product is about 25% less.

The way I see it, is that I have spent over $4000 for this stuff. I have no complaints about the gap seals. It is pretty hard to them up. The quandry I have is to send them back and spend quite a bit more on the LoPresti, but I will be in about the same boat on finishing them out, just out more money for the product. As a matter of principle, I have just about talked myself into sending the pants back and spending more money on the LoPresti. I guess I will make my decision after I call Laminar.

Comments

• DK,

You could consider Knots-2-U wheel fairings for the mains. That's what I have on my 140 and they don't require removal of your existing fairings. They cover up the inside part that the regular fairings don't cover and also the strut. They take a little bit of fitting work, and we painted mine (not gel coated). Best thing is that the price is considerably less than the others. These fairings don't change access to the value stems, since the original fairings remain. Checking the level of air in the tires is not fun, but not that bad either.

Consider the Laminar Flow fairing for the nose wheel, it reduces significant drag right behind the prop and price was $175 (don't know current price). When I flight tested the nose wheel fairing by itself, I'd picked up 4 knots in cruise, just from that.
    Gary
  • ghendr wrote:
    DK,

You could consider Knots-2-U wheel fairings for the mains. That's what I have on my 140 and they don't require removal of your existing fairings. They cover up the inside part that the regular fairings don't cover and also the strut. They take a little bit of fitting work, and we painted mine (not gel coated). Best thing is that the price is considerably less than the others. These fairings don't change access to the value stems, since the original fairings remain. Checking the level of air in the tires is not fun, but not that bad either.

Consider the Laminar Flow fairing for the nose wheel, it reduces significant drag right behind the prop and price was $175 (don't know current price). When I flight tested the nose wheel fairing by itself, I'd picked up 4 knots in cruise, just from that.
    Gary

Gary, how many kts did you get out of the knots2u kit ?
    Francois
  • Francois,

Among all of the speed mods, I believe the K2U main fairings account for about 6 knots of speed increase in TAS at cruise. When I first flew the airplane with the K2U main fairings on, there was a definite difference in how the airplane felt...it accelerated faster once in the air, climbed faster, and glides with less altitude loss. The add-on nose wheel fairing from Laminar Flow Systems added about 4 knots. Overall, my cruise is about 12 knots faster than it used to be (75% power @ 7,500' = 118K; 112K @ 65%). Note, however that my prop is pitched to 62" (cruise setting). WOT @ 2,000' produces about 125 knots TAS. JimC runs considerably faster than I do, but I believe he has tucked the antennas inside the wingtips and has made other mods.

I see you have settled on a 180C. A friend of mine had a 180C configured nearly identically to my 140/160. His cruise numbers were about 10 knots faster than mine.

Gary
  • I'm not sure who you talked to at LFS, or why they would say they hadn't sold any of those pants in more than three years. I put a set on my Warrior in 2009. I do remember some confusion about whether or not they would be gel-coated in white, as the website says yes but I was told "no" during the ordering process. At any rate, I always expected to have them professionally finished during install so it didn't matter to me.

And I can say without hesitation that they added at least 5 KTAS in performance, as my cruise TAS went from about 115 to 120 on average. The plane also had the full accoutrement of K2U mods as well, so the LFS pants were the last thing. And it had a cruise-pitch prop. So not all experiences with LFS are bad.
  • An acquaintance has an unmodified 180C that is the same year model as my 150C (160 hp). Our empty weights are within 30 pounds. Carrying the same fuel load, he and a mutual friend went up first in his Cherokee, then they took mine up. Mine got off the grass about a hundred feet shorter, climbed about a hundred fpm faster, and was about 10 kts faster in cruise than his 180C.