Cherokee 6 Bad WX Config Speed

Hi there,

Does anyone know what the best speed for a bad weather configuration for a Cherokee Six (300) and also best glide speed?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Nak

Comments

• Good evening. I also have a Cherokee 6/300. The best glide speed is 87 knots. Maneuvering speed (Va) is 131 and 114 knots at 3400 and 2400 lbs respectively. Enjoy.

Alan
  • Hi Alan,
    Thanks for the reply. Why I am asking is we are currently investigating a missing Cherokee Six that disappeared in NZ in 1978. At the time there were 7 POB, very little cargo and fuel of up to 2 hours left. We have narrowed it down to an area of less than 10km squared but the area is a remote thick rain forest, so the best we can narrow it down to. The Six was also seen flying at below 100 feet at this stage with a 100% tailwind, of 20 to 30 knots. When turning we think it may have stalled into the bush while conducting a turn, or conducting a controlled rough terrain landing.
    Nak
  • Nak,
    Wow, sorry to hear about that. I am a member of the Civil Air Patrol in the US and some units have access to what is called an ARCHER system. It uses minute color differences between objects in a location to identify an object against a background. As a for instance, an aircraft against a background of trees or some other foliage. Do you think your SAR( Search and Rescue) organization has access to this technology? Good luck.

Alan
  • Hi Alan,

Unfortunately the last time the aircraft has been searched for was 34 years ago. The official SAR only went for 4 days, and the spot we think it is in was never checked as it was believed that the aircraft was in the opposite direction of where it was suppose to be going (as the wx in that area had cloud down to 50ft and visibility of 100 metres for a VFR flight) and the time last seen was thought to be well past its endurance. We believe it landed at a remote airfield and stayed on the ground for a while before departing. SAR have said they are only interested if we can provide evidence or ie. locating the physical spot. I'm sure they don't want to run around using funds up on searching every time they get a tip. We hope to enter the area in the near future, locate this aircraft and get some closure for the families. We've also considered using a magnetometer but they are hugely expensive to get to fit to your aircraft.

Nak
  • Well, sorry to hear that. I wish you luck.

Alan
  • Any word on your search??

Thanks, Tim