Prebuy Recommendations - Piper in Central PA

Hello!

New user here. I am a student pilot, considering purchase of a late 1970s Warrior II that is currently based between Harrisburg and State College, PA. I am looking for recommendations for reputable people/companies in that area that can perform a pre-buy evaluation of the aircraft. The owner is scheduling an annual for it in the coming weeks and it would be nice if the prebuy could piggyback on the annual.

I'd really appreciate any responses!

Thanks

Comments

• Hello back. Do you know where the annual is scheduled? I bought a 140 from a broker in PA and the IA "missed" some items and transposed aircraft times so some things were "missed" somewhat innocent but cost me some $$ to fix it. I would find out where the plane is going for work and see if you can get some info on the shop. Maybe your flight school has some intel on the shop. An annual is a excellent time for a pre-buy......if it's done with your interest in mind.
    Lr
  • Hi 1001001,
    Regardless of who does your prebuy, they usually will not evaluate the avionics,. Send me a list of the avionics equipment in the aircraft you are considering and I'll tell you what you have? Also, let me know your flying experience and how you plan to fly the aircraft and I'll tell you if the avionics will do what you need? You may want to go to the next step at that point and have the avionics bench checked and recertified or ... ask the seller to do that? The avionics often represent 1/3 the value of the aircraft! makes sense to know? Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com
  • I thought I'd follow up on this if anyone had a similar question. On a recommendation from a personal friend, I contacted Alan Bailey of Bailey's Aircraft Service in Lock Haven, PA. Al did what I would consider a very thorough inspection of the aircraft, looking in all the nooks and crannies and generally impressing me with his knowledge of the type and the questions he asked of the owner (who was present for the inspection). My friend who recommended Mr. Bailey is very particular about his aircraft, and I can see why he would recommend Al. I would also not hesitate to recommend Mr. Bailey to do a pre-buy evaluation in the central PA area.