Opinions Wanted

My first annual on a 1968 PA-28-180. Less than 2200 hrs total time. Tach is shot and cannot be repaired - Will replace with new mechanical tach. Most vendors will set the hour meter for $60 - 100+. Willing to pay to set the hour meter, but then the vendor told me that the new tach comes with an 8130 because they open it up to set the meter and then "certify that it has been tested" and it is operating correctly. New tach with 0 hours is certified as "New" and comes with certificate - Either way, accurate Total Time will depend on the logbook endorsement when the replacement tach is installed. So- is it worth the extra money to get a "tested" tach with the 8130 but a "correct" total time on the hour meter, or just put in a 0 hour tach and rely on the logbook endorsement? If the plane were for sale and you were a prospective buyer, which would you rather see as the logbook entry? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• I feel like I would prefer the tach to show the right number of hours instead of relying only on the logbooks, and it would be worth an extra $100 to me. Hopefully some A&Ps or more importantly people who do pre-buys or aircraft valuations will weigh in though. That might be a no-no like it is with a car. Good luck!!!