Cherokee 140 Front strut leak in winter

Can someone tell me if you are having similar problem. In the winter I like to preheat the engine by putting a blanket on top of the cowling and using a heater blow warm air into the front intakes, it does a great job BUT a few times I had a problem. I put everything away start the plane go for a flight and when I land the front strut is completely deflated.
I am wondering if by me heating the engine compartment the warm air is making the top of the strut expand and the piston staying cold since is outside of the cowling the difference in temperature creates a gap enough to leak. Any thoughts? If this is the problem how can I preheat without effecting the temperature difference on the strut?

Comments

• Interesting problem. I have a LH main strut on my PA28-235 with a mystery strut problem. The thing is chronically underinflated. I understand that is a popular problem but I had my seals replaced and it helped although not completely. During winter, the metal contracts in the cold weather and causes this. Have you tried replacing the seals? Often, the oleo strut gets pitting or corrosion and actually needs rechroming. That's probably the last resort. Does this occur in warmer weather? I can't imagine its only a cold weather story.