New Member - 1963 Cherokee 180

Hello,

I picked up my first airplane last August.

I looked for a couple of months and wanted something pretty close that I could go look at in person. I live in San Antonio and this was just up the road on the North side of Austin. It is a well used plane with about 1100ish SMOT and just under 4000 TTAF. I was looking for simplicity and preferably a 180. I got it. No bells and whistles in this old girl. Not even an oil filter.

Since I've owned her, I've put in a new Concorde Battery, installed new anti chafe tape, replaced the landing light with an LED, installed a battery minder charge plug, and learned to change the oil and clean the screens.

I took it in for a couple things right after getting it, and my mechanic realized that the spinner backplate was made for a pawnee and that my flange bushings were too short.
I'm sure this was on the plane for over 20 years.

I also took about 5-6 hours to get the belly scrubbed and the aircraft.
It still needs some paint work. It was repainted once in its life, but it was not a stellar job.

Right now, it is in the shop getting the struts repacked and serviced as well as getting a lycoming filter assembly installed. When it gets out, I'm going to redo the wing walk paint.

After that, ADS-B is next. Still Debating between the Stratus ESGi and a Garmin Product. My current 327 is functional but the buttons are dying so I am pretty much stuck to VFR only flying.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

Comments

• I'm so happy for you. She's a good bird and with your tlc she'll be great! Keep it up and share with us what you're doing.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Will do. I just got an oil filter installed. Hopefully it will keep the engine oil cleaner.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Good move. Engines are really expensive, lol :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• My oil analyses have been improving over the last two changes. I just need to make sure I fly at least every other week.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• I mentioned to another member, ADS-B out is possible with a Garmin GDL-82 for around $2K? But the existing transponder needs to be functional. I love the simpler “birds”!

• We are very lucky to have so many great ADS-B In/Out options. For every configuration and price point. Of course, you still have to get shop time and pay for it at the end. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Yeah. The timing in a shop is the toughest thing now. I am actually thinking about getting my 327 repaired and waiting on the ADS-B now.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• On my new Arrow, I waited 2 months for shop time. Now that my plane is in the shop, I'm in the third week of install.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• How much equipment are you getting installed?

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• The Arrow came with a Garmin 340 audio panel and 650 GPS. I used them for a while but missed my Avidyne 540. I sold the two units to members via the forum and installed an Avidyne 240 audio panel and 540 GPS. I have a Garmin 345 transponder for ADS-B In/Out. They almost have it working correctly and I think it will be perfect today or tomorrow. :) Then I have a new EI Superclock replacing the factory electric clock. That should be in this week, too. I'll post a pic when it's all done. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• What do you like more about the Avidyne besides the size?

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Good question. First, a bit of history. I've had Garmin since around 1992 with a GPS-155 approach approved GPS. I've had a GNC-250 and a Garmin GTN-530W for around 12 years or so. When I discovered that I could get $10k for the 530W after using it for 12 years I sold it on Barnstormers (several years ago). The Garmin 750 was out but it would have required a total rewire of the panel costing about $6,000 just for the rewire. Then I would have needed the remote audio panel and transponder because the 750 was so large. I found the Avidyne 540 and started to research it. At the time Avidyne had a special to purchase the 540 for $11k. So I netted out with a GPS upgrade for about $1,000 and the install cost was just a couple of hundred since it slid right into the Garmin 530 tray. Fast forward to today and I have a new plane that came with a new Garmin 650. I used it for a month and it worked great but the screen was too small (the Avidyne 440 would have been too small, too) and I didn't really like the operating logic. I preferred the Avidyne operating logic that I was used to. So I sold the 650 for around $10k and got a shiny new Avidyne 540. I've retained the Garmin 345 transponder (best transponder ever, IMHO) and it works well with the 540, as do all of the other avionics in my panel. Long story shortened: larger screen, better (for me) operating logic, multi-vendor interoperability. I'm very happy with it.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!