External power to learn avionics on the ground

I have a NOCO GB 70 battery charger and a plug-and-jump for my Cherokee. I'd like to use these to learn the avionics in the panel (it's a new plane to me); however, there's nothing in the POH re. how to do this (only a general statement indicating that one can use an external power supply). Plug in the plug-and-jump, attach the battery cables, and then? I'm eager to do this, but also nervous about doing it incorrectly and damaging the avionics. Thanks.

Comments

• Hi and thanks for writing. On many Pipers, the ground service plug is for jumping and starting only and is wired that way. To be safe, use automobile jumper cables and go right to the battery with your external power supply. It isn't quite as easy (nothing beats a one-plug solution) but it will work for you. Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    FAA Master Pilot
    Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.
    Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks, Scott. I wish there was a definitive answer. There are posts (including older ones) on another forum and several differing answers. Some favor a BatteryMinder, some recommend the portable power supply with Piper style single pin plug (Aircraft Spruce item). I've had conversations about continuous charge vs. trickle, recommendations to look at the plane's wiring, and more.

Was just hoping for a 'simple' solution in order to learn the avionics on the ground.

• Hi, a Battery Minder (trickle charger) is good to keep the battery in top condition; I use one on my plane in the winter. Don't use it for running your avionics. As for the pin-plug, I have one and use it for jump-starting my plane. It bypasses the battery on my plane and goes right to the starter. I don't know about your plane. However, if you use auto-battery cables, you'll be fine.

Scott Sherer
    FAA Master Pilot
    Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,
    Do you have your trickle charger “wired” directly to the battery? With an external access?

• Hi, on my Seneca it was in the nose baggage compartment. I had it permanently wired so all I had to do was open the baggage door an inch. On my new Arrow, it's right behind the rear baggage compartment. I have it wired so all I have to do is open the baggage door an inch. :) Both work perfectly! Open an inch and plug it in.

Scott Sherer
    FAA Master Pilot
    Need help? Let me know!

• Same here on my Archer, in the rear baggage area.