New member and new to me 1970 Cherokee 140

Found it in a hangar August 2017 just like this! Old owner was trying to make it new firewall forward and gave up! His loss and my golden opportunity.... He purchacesd new Plane Power Alternator, Skytech Starter, PowerFlow Exhaust, Slickmag kit with wires and plugs, carb, electric fuel pump, gascolator, oil cooler, all firewall seals and a mountain of new hardware.....I know im forgetting some stuff that came with it new. I have purchased new fuel lines, primer lines, oil lines, vacuum pump, 3 tires & tubes, interior kit from Airtex. Every bolt, nut, washer, screw, and clamp that has been put on it is new.

It has went from this:

To this:

Fisrt engine start was a week ago! All went well (NO FIRE) LOL

Comments

• Welcome! You have a “new” aircraft! Hope to see photos when completed. Looks great already.
    Kent

• Looks like a 1970 model year?

• Sorry, looked pictures first, and not headline!

• Engine run went well, only issue was oil temp! Hopefully it is just the sending unit, gauge needle did not move at all. A&P will address that issue next week.
    After next engine run we will do a compression test. If that checks out ok, then it is on to some minor repairs aft of the firewall. Then its off to the annual and checking all the AD’s
    Aircraft came with all logs back to the day it was delivered new from the plant, as well as a three ring binder with all the AD’s that were complied with up to its last annual. Juging from the stack of recipts for work throughout its lifespan, i might have every recipt. LOL

• I'm looking forward to your report on first flight!

Scott Sherer
    FAA Master Pilot
    Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.
    Need help? Let me know!

• Me too Scott!!!! You can bet I will be posting it!!!!!

• Welcome. That looks great.

Brother

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Great Looking Plane - Be sure to keep us updated. Best of Luck!

• Nice Plane. The Powerflow exhaust was really great on my 140.

• A lot has happened since June 6th.... annual inspection is done, and all repairs have been completed. 3 new tires and tubes, some new wheel bearings, all 3 landing gear struts have new seals, left main gear torque link rebuilt ( bolts,bushings,and shims) the inside of the fuselage and wings look new. No corrosion, I did have the inside of the airframe sprayed with Corrosion X. Now i am installing a new interior kit from Airtex. New carpet, side panels, and seat foam and upholstery. Once that is completed, next on the list is new weight & balance followed by the VFR certification...... slowly running out of things on the list to do before the first flight!!!!!!!

• edited August 27

Trying to post some updated pics, I know I posted the ones at the top. I can post pics in other discussions. It gives me the option to select photos from my library but it won’t in this discussion

• edited August 27

I was just thumbing through the September issue of Pipers Magazine......
    My plane made the page..... From The Forum section page 44....... that is awesome! After I showed my wife, I asked her if she wanted my autograph :D :D she walked away!! :o
    She is a 17 year Airbus Captain, I would take her autograph.......

• Anxious to see this major rework in photos!

• Hi, send the photo to scotts@jonespublishing.com and I'll post it for you!

Scott Sherer
    FAA Master Pilot
    Need help? Let me know!

• sorry about the posting-photos problem, that was a problem on our side (not yours, you were trying in the right way), should be working now.

Digital Product Manager
    Piper Owner Society

• Thanks so much, Rocky! (Rocky is our Pipers magazine editor and jack of all trades).

Scott Sherer
    FAA Master Pilot
    Need help? Let me know!

• edited August 30

I decided to drop the seats off at a local Upholserty shop that has done car interiors for me to professionally install the new fabric and foam! All interior is from Airtex Interior

• I had to test fit the new carpet and side panels when they arrived! Here is a sneak peak of what it’s going to look like! All window trim and rear plastic bulkhead will be repainted to match the light gray as well,

• Thanks Rocky and Scott for fixing the picture posting issue!

• Hi, looking good! I've done four airplanes with Airtex upholstery kits so I know what you went through. Looks great.

Scott Sherer
    FAA Master Pilot
    Need help? Let me know!

• She looks great Did the same a few years ago and added a lot of sound and temperature insulation. I also replaced all of the widows with thicker ones with UV screening. A LOT of work.

• Considering replacing carpet in my 84 Archer II. Did you obtain samples prior to ordering? For color match?

• Hi,
    Contact Airtex and they will send you a sample kit for $8.00. It's very good and takes the guessing out of the process. I've done four planes with Airtex and I'm looking at doing the Arrow soon.

Scott Sherer
    FAA Master Pilot
    Need help? Let me know!

• Hello
    Do I need to call to obtain samples? Website doesn’t offer that option?
    Thanks

• Don't trust the website, you can't touch them or see what they really look like. Give them a call and you'll have them in a couple of days. Trust me on this. (I can't believe I really said that, lol). :)

Scott Sherer
    FAA Master Pilot
    Need help? Let me know!

• I DO trust you! I will give them a call. Thanks, and Happy Labor Day!