New avionics on the way!

Well I bit the bullet and signed the bottom line. Hi-Jacked is getting some much needed avionics upgrades. Used Garmin GNS430, New Stratus ESG transponder, Stratus Power USB Port, Garmin GMA-240 audio panel, and Dual G5’s.......scheduled into Saint Aviation March 6th. $15,200.00
What a relief, I’m really tired of pondering over this and that avionics.... what a mental drain! Here is the BEFORE, Can’t wait to post the after......

Rich Denton
President
EAA Chapter 175

Comments

• edited January 14

Fantastico!! I'm sorry happy for you! :) (and sorry about the checkbook!) Are you removing the vacuum system? It's a 30 pound gain in useful load!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes sir Scott, vacuum system will be gone!

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• Fanstico, Rich!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I bit the bullet late last year. NO regrets! Safer flying.

• I also installed dual G5’s

• edited January 15

Those G-5's may wind up being among the most popular and successful products ever launched in GA!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• One caveat...The G5 requires two (2) RS-232 ports and my GNS 530W has only one port available after the GDL 88D and FS 210 so I can't see ADS-B traffic on it (GNS 530W) now although the FS 210 provides traffic on my iPad mini. I don't know if the GTN series has more RS-232 ports or not.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Hi Jim,
    sounds similar to my Arrow. I have an Aspen 1000 with Foreflight on my mini. I don't put ads-b on my Aspen (I don't know if I can) because there's already enough on that screen so I put traffic and weather on my Foreflight and Avidyne 540 from my Garmin 345 transponder.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I have the Sentry feeding traffic and weather to ForeFlight on my yoke mounted I-pad!

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• Thanks Rich,
    Make sure you post pics when done. :) We all love seeing other pilots spend money, lol. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• That is great news! you'll love that new panel. got get some rest now that is all over.
    Congrats!

• edited April 22

Well March 6th has come and gone! I thought I was set on the Avionics package....... but I changed it up again. While I was waiting for my PPL check ride that kept getting pushed back a few times, I missed my slot in the Avionics shop. The good news is I passed my check ride, and changed my mind on avionics. :'( So I just got the ADSB installed last week so I made the deadline for my rebate. I sold the used 430 non WAAS and found a used 430W and decided to go with the Stratus ES to save a few dollars and found a used PS Engineering audio panel. They had to remake some of the harness that cost me more $ but it was my fault I changed my mind. I can’t say enough good about Saint Aviation in Dunnellon, FL. They have bent over backwards to help me out in this process. They installed my ADSB transponder while I waited so I wouldn’t miss the deadline for my rebate. I highly recommended them to anyone asking. Hopefully my plane will be back in their shop in the next couple of weeks to get the rest of the work done.

They also offered me a deal for the Tru Trak auto pilot installed for $7,200.00 cant swing it this year but maybe next!

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• What would be your GPS source for the Tru Trak autopilot?

• Excellent, Rich. And congrats on the Private license! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• The TruTrak interfaces quite nicely with the 430W. Only three wires!

Regards,

Mike

• I wish I could afford the TruTrak now but it will have to wait a while...... my Bride is still trying to get over the shock of my must have avionics upgrades!!! Maybe autopilot next year....... :D :D :D

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• Kentwkalb I am having a 430W installed, when I can afford it that will drive the TruTrak

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• Ok. I’m considering the same. Thanks