My Trip to Alaska from Kanas City, MO

Well I had an incredible journey with my PA28-235. I recently took a trip starting at Noah's arc in Kansas City Mo and flew some 50 hours to Wasilla Alaska via the inside passage on the coast and back via the "Trench" in Canada. What an incredible journey. The plane performed perfectly and the new garmin stack was great. My journey took me through Nebraska (Valentine), South Dakota (Rapid City), Lewistown Montana, Idaho, Pangborn Washington, Victoria Canada, Bella Bella BC, Ketchikan, Sitka, Skagway, Gustavus, Yukatat, Cordova, Whittier, Anchorage and Wasilla Alaska, then back via White Horse, Watson Lake, McKenzie, Prince George, Penticton canada, then then via Oroville, WA, Helena Montana, Grant NE and finally back home.

If anyone has any questions about traveling to canada or mountain flying, other, I'd be happy to assist. This was a trip of a lifetime for me....and I'd like to see more low wings make it to Alaska, where we are far outnumbered.

Eric

Eric - N8573W

Comments

• Hi Eric,
    I've been threatening to fly to Alaska forever. You're a great motivator and I think I'm going to start planning it. Thanks for the encouragement!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Sure. Really only a few things to do to get into Canada. Check out AOPA canada info but... you need customs decal, radio operators license, radio station license before you go. Then when you go file icao flight plan, call CanPass, file eapis departure notice 2 hours prior. Fly to a port of entry airport and call canpass. They will likely just give you a code (write it down in case anyone else asks you...they won't). Upon re-entry to US, file icao flight plan, Call US customs at the location you are flying to to let them know you are coming, file eapis. NOTE: make sure you use local times and check time zones. Example from Bella Bella BC to Ketchikan there is a timezone change of an hour. Then HAVE FUN!

Eric - N8573W

• Roger that, Eric!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!