Seneca Oil filter access mod

Does anyone have a link to the STC or at least the engineering drawings for the access panel on the bottom of the Seneca cowl to allow removal of the oil filter without removing the lower cowl? I've done it both ways- leaving it on, and dealing with the mess, and removing the lower cowl and reattaching the 300 screws (cause you gotta remove the fairings as well, and hope the rivnut hasn't spun in place) and cowl flaps.

Comments

• Here is the kit. I have concluded it is a nice to have as dropping the cowl is not that bad if you have a helper or even a padded stool and it gives you much better access for inspection as well as for completing the safety wire.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Thanks, I wouldn’t mind removing the lower cowl as much if I didn’t have to remove all of the fairings on both sides. It’s not a bad job with 2 people but by myself even with a lift/stool it’s difficult to get the center stitch points oriented correctly.

• One trick that can help is a cleco tool and some clecos. This can be used to temporarily hold everything in place for positioning.

I seem to recall that the wing leading edge fairings do not need to come off completely. The cowl flap actuator definitely does as you have pointed out.

A low cart from harbor freight and some foam padding can make it easier too.

This is what a Cleco system looks like. The gold or black ones would likely be the right size to go in the screw holes and hold the cowl in place while positioning.

I do want to warn you that 20% of pilots who start using clecos can't stop buying them. They usually end up building experimental aircraft to hide their addiction.... I have met plenty of builders that have sold their planes - but they ALL keep their tools! :)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Truth spoken here!

IMHO, the Cleco ranks very highly in "the most useful aviation tool" category. Also works great for those of us who restore cars and want that quarter panel to fit perfecly before welding.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Didn't think of a Cleco to hold it in place temporarily. Thats a good suggestion. I did go ahead and buy the kit- plan on installing next annual.