DAKOTA WEIGHT AND BALANCE

I AM SORRY IF I AM POSTING TOO MUCH ABOUT THE NEW TO ME 82 DAKOTA BUT I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN ABOUT MY NEW RIDE. THIS REQUEST IS ABOUT WEIGHT AND BALANCE.

HAVING 5 AIRCRAFT BEFORE, THE ISSUE IS NOT NEW TO ME BUT I HOPE OTHERS COULD LET ME KNOW OF ANY SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS LIKE:

IF A BIG PILOT AND COPILOT NEEDS SOME COUNTERWEIGHT IN BACK?

DOES FUEL USAGE AFFECT BALANCE?

IF LOADED AT MAX, ARE THERE OTHER ISSUES.

EXPERIENTIAL KNOWLEDGE WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

DAVE DILLEHAY N8442A

Comments

• Apologies for not providing Dakota specific experience, and at the same time have noticed commonalities across the Piper single engine line when it comes to loading.

As fuel burns, the CG is known to move forward and it is not uncommon for the CG moving too far forward with zero fuel. With large framed individuals in the front row, and no other weight rearward, the CG will likely start fairly forward and possibly go outside the envelope while still low on fuel.

If not already done, to see loading's effect on CG, best is to load W&B data into flight planning software and play around. Some software will show how the CG moves as fuel burns, along with what to expect at takeoff and landing.

For loading the plane to gross, Pipers are not unique in that they will behave differently as compared to lightly loaded. Where the Pipers differ from many other airframes is that they are more tolerant with CG when loading. As a comparison (and not meaning to cast dispersions) to Cessna singles, when loading a Cessna, weight in aft storage has a greater effect on CG than it does on a Piper. I recall going on vacations with a rented 172 and our baggage weight was limited by CG (having a 300 pound passenger in the front did not help). When it came time to go down a decision tree for the current plane, I loaded W&Bs of different planes in the same class and found that Mooney and Beech also experienced the same effect as Cessna. Which was one of the reasons I focused on Piper.

Another comment on flying at gross is to consider having a CFI along for a few rides while getting the feel of weight differences.

My preference for loading is to keep CG in the middle to slightly rear of the envelope as this helps with cruise speed. Given the descriptions, might need to put some dead weight in rear storage in order to keep the CG from going to the front of the envelope.

• For any plane with a wide useful load range it is a good idea to get experience with a CFI at near gross weights close to the forward and aft limit.

I used to have a 421C and we would fly 8 around. My rule for baggage is if it goes in the plane it goes in my hands first.

In the Seneca III I fly with 50 lbs of lead shot in the back. It is not at the forward limit without it but with just two up front it balances better.

The reason why it is important to fly over the flight envelope for weight and balance is the behavior is much different.

With forward loading you are going to have to pull back to get the nose up. With aft loading it might lift off before you are ready and you might need to push to keep the deck angle correct.

The right way to think about it is pitch + power = performance. You are adjusting controls for pitch vs applying 5 lbs of backforce, etc. Thinking about it this way will keep you out of trouble.

I am with Jacob and prefer center to slightly after CG for the same reasons.

Another tip, if you are not at full fuel due to W/B reasons make sure you supervise fueling closely. Fuelers can easily blow past instructions.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Hi Dave,

Dakota owner here 616HT. I keep a little weight in the baggage compartment when solo or another person up front - seems to feel better in the flare. Periodically using a light amount of silicone spray on the yokes will help while “holding it off” in the flare. Congrats on your plane! And feel free to contact me if ya want to talk planes. Tom

• I have 1979 Dakota. I weigh 250 and my copilot is 200. I definitely use weight in the back compartment. I bought 2 lead shot bags called saddle bag weights. I use a racket strap to lock them into the metal on the back of the rear seats. One bag is 50 lbs. and the other is 25 pounds ( I can take them in and out easily). I also keep the following in my plane which weighs 44 lbs.

N3029 Standard Storage Compartment – IN AIRCRAFT

Tie Down Rachet Container:   7.5 Lbs.

Cleaners& Luggage Scale Container:  10 Lbs.

Survival Kit: 5.5 Lbs.

Fuel Strainer, Oil Rags, 2 Quarts Oil 6 Lbs.

Emergency Flares 2.25 Lbs.

Emergency Medical Kit 8 Lbs.

Equipment Pilot Manuals 5 Lbs

TOTAL 44.25*

Overall I use 120 lbs. in the rear and I can fly with my W&B with full fuel no problem but I do a complete W&B with actual passenger weight in foreflight before every flight as a best practice.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Bob