PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION IN CHEWELAH WA AIR PORT 1S9

Hello, I am looking to have a prepurchase inspection on a 1966 chreokee 180. The aircraft is based in Washington state at 1s9. Can anyone recommend a shop. I am from southern ca and do not know anyone in that area. Thanks

Comments

• Is the aircraft in annual, insured, etc? Could it be flow to a shop for a pre-purchase? Do you have a mechanic you could fly up to inspect it? Have you seen it and flown it yet? Any concerns?

My mechanic is starting a couple weeks of travel and many shops in the NW are gearing up for the fire season + first days of good weather start this week.

I would recommend starting with a log review by your mechanic. You could also potentially face time with the seller and your mechanic. This would be mostly for ruling out a purchase vs proceeding with one. If everything checked then you could go for the expense of getting someone there.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Thanks. I am going to look at this week. the aircraft is in annual. Not sure about insurance. I am getting a title search and faa records aic. I could fly a mechanic up there i just thought i might find someone in that area.

• edited May 7

The person you want performing the pre-purchase inspection is someone who is familiar with the model and knows the problem points, but hasn't seen that particular plane.

Having someone who brings a fresh set of eyes and knows what to look for is invaluable.

In other words, bring a trusted mechanic with you or find another shop that hasn't seen that plane before.

Sometimes there are no other options, but do your best to avoid the same shop the current owner uses.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• If you are going during annual time it is a good time to inspect how it is inspected. I have paid for pre-buys and got burned. I have also skipped pre-buys and did fine.

My take is a pre-buy is for showstoppers like serious engine, prop and airframe issues. If you like the plane and the annual is wrapping up then it might be a good time to fly someone up as the plane is already opened up and the mechanics can discuss. It is possible to fake being a good mechanic in the paperwork but this is not going to work mechanic to mechanic.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)