KX-155

This is a tangent to my previous discussion item looking for avionics shop recommendations. I have a KX-155 Nav/Com with display issues and am having a hard time identifying a repair or replacement option. As has been pointed out on many forums Bendix King abandoned this market. As far as I have been able to determine, they do not offer a 14 volt replacement unit. Display repair is difficult to find, as new display units are not being made. Some avionics shops do offer repair, but cost is in the $2K neighborhood - a lot to pay to fix a 35 year old radio.
TKM advertises the MK 155 as a slide in replacement. Currently this unit is non-TSO'd. Also, their website does not offer any way to call them and discuss. Only option is to fill out a form. Filled it out, no reply.
Garmin GNC 225 seems like a nice (but pricey) unit. I do not like that only Com or Nav are displayed, you have to switch between which you want to see.
So, my question is - What are others doing for KX - 155 repair or replace?

Any suggestions or thoughts welcome.
Ben

Comments

• Correction to Gamin unit. GNC 255, not 225.

Ben

• edited May 2019

Ben, I have a GNC 255 as my second radio, and it's a keeper! Crystal-clear sound, easy to program your most-used frequencies, I really like it!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Well, the GNC255 is the Cadallac solution and the MX-155 is the Chevy solution :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Harley. Appreciate the input. Did you have the 255 installed as a KX-155 replacement? If so, what was ballpark install cost?

Scott: Yes, agree, but like I said, I haven't had any luck getting a response from TKM.
    Ben

• Hi Ben,
    Here's the contact and email address for the general manager: Vic Casebolt vicc@tkmavionics.com I hope this helps, Vic is a good guy.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Ben, I had my local avionics shop guy the entire panel last winter, and the GNC 255 was installed then. They gave me a pretty good discount on all the new avionics I was buying, so the price I paid may not be what you pay.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Thanks Harley.

Scott: I will shoot Vic an email. Thanks.

Ben

• Wanted to update the group on this post. After more searching, I elected to have the KX-155 repaired by Mid Continent Avionics in Wichita, Kansas (Thanks to Bob Hart for the contact information). The cost for the display LED Conversion, change lenses, and repair one connector was $2,150. The LED conversion alone is $1,750. I had the option of a full overhaul or unit exchange for $3,204, but choose to repair my unit. Repaired radio is installed and looks and works great.

Ben

• Excellent, Ben. You'll get another ten years out of it :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Here is an update on the MX-155 (KX-155 replacement from TKM).

Thank you for your inquiry, Scott. We are planning for year end to receive TSO certification. I will notify you when we get it and units are available.

Please note that we do have a number of non-TSO'd units available, more in the next 30 days. If anyone is interested, they can contact us at the Customer service email or phones and we can quote price and lead times. Since all of the physical and environmental testing has been complete for some time now, the TSO'd units will be identical to these except for the (important) TSO Tag.

Thank you!

Ken Beckemeyer 

TKM Avionics, Inc

14811 North 73rd St Ste 101

Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

CustomerService@tkmavionics.com

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!