I just Bought a 1974 PA28R-200 - Hanger Find

Comments

• The SkyBeacon is a very affordable option...Scott has detailed it’s simplicity of install.

• The install was easy as pie! :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Glad you got a good deal. Sounds like you are going to have some fun putting it together. Don't let all this overwhelm you. Take one thing at a time. Be very careful with this engine. Nine plus years is a long time for an engine to sit idle especially in the Florida. I did an Annual on a 75 Arrow that sat a long time (Calif.). Prop and engine were not even overhaulable. Hope the prop is sealed. Good luck!!
    Austin

• My A&P Checked it all out and says that all looks Good. He Borescoped the Engine and checked the Compression on all cylinders - all in the Low/Mid 70's. But there are never any guarantees.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• And Yes, I read the very in-depth article from Scott on the Sky Beacon and it is on the list of possibilities, but I am leaning towards the Garmin 345.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• I have the 345 in my turbo Arrow. It sends weather and traffic to my Avidyne 540, Aspen 1000 and via bluetooth to my IPad/Foreflight. Wonderful device :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited July 2019

Well, here I am... 4 Months to the day that I bought my Arrow and it is now ready to Fly! I got the Annual Signed Off today and the Project of breathing life into a plane that took a 10 Year Nap in a Hangar is Complete (I know, I know.... the project will always go on!). Thanks to everyone that helped me on the Forum and watched the progress. When I have more time, I will list all of the work that was completed. Basically, my A&P and myself worked on it every Sunday except for maybe 4 or 5... just one day/week. We thought that the Air Conditioner would even be working today, but when we started to charge the system with Freon we heard a leak. Come to find out that the Brand New Condenser had a factory defect and there was a hole in it. We are shooting for Friday to install a new replacement and then fly her to her new home in a Hangar at Okeechobee County Airport. That is the day that a friend of mine can fly her for me as I am not checked out in a Complex Aircraft Yet. As I stated at the beginning of the thread, the Purchase Price was $10,000, in the 4 months of Repairs, Labor and Extras came out to $14,626 for a Grand Total Investment of $24,626 for the Arrow. I spent a couple thousand that wasn't necessary buying an additional used interior and several AC Condensers, etc, but they will be needed in the future. Just 2 Fresh Coats of Wingwalk Paint really makes it show well. It was an Awesome Learning Experience and I can't wait to start building time and enjoying the Blue Florida Sky

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Beautiful! Great job! Enjoy

• I'm soooo happy for you! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Congratulations on your great find and restoration. Now do yourself one more favor in that Florida sun and fit a set of window shades for when you park outside! It will save your avionics and interior.

Regards,

Mike
  • Good Tip! I will.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Best $200 ever spent during the hot, sunny days. I just wrote an article about sun shades and it went out in this weeks Piper Owners Newsletter. Check your email!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Well, after 4 months and 1 week, she flew today for the first time in 10 years! She handled just like the Lady that she was supposed to be! Everything went amazingly well! We flew around for about an hour and then landed at her new home - the local County Airport where I have rented a Hangar! We are flying her again in the morning. I am attaching a few videos of the First Flight. A big thank you to everyone here who has helped me tackle this project!

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• I bet that felt good!

Regards,

Mike
  • Dream come true :) Fantastic job!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Gentleman!

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Outstanding, well done.

• Thanks Bill

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• I love it when things work out!!!
    Austin

• Wonderful! This has been a fun post to follow.

Jim

• Thanks Jim! It has been an Incredible Experience for me! And I have Learned So Much!

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• edited January 2020

Well, here is a little update for those that have been following this project and those that may refer to this thread when they tackle the same type of project. Since that first flight, I have put about 20 hours on her. I had to hire an instructor so teach me the Complex Aircraft Skills and my Biennial Flight Review. I have been mostly flying local and to a couple of the close Coastal Airports, but I did take her on a short Cross Country down to The Keys to Marathon (about an 1 Hour and 15 Minutes) - an Absolute Incredible Flight over the Florida Everglades and then the Florida Keys! It has been wonderful getting back into flying again. Here are a few other issues that have popped up...

After about 6 hours of flying, I noticed that the Manifold Pressure Gauge got stuck on 12". I removed it and saw that the port on the back of the gauge for the Manifold Pressure was packed full of Corrosion. I sent it off to be cleaned/rebuilt and works great now.

After about 12 hours of flight time, during a night landing, the Nose Gear Green Light did not illuminate coming in for Landing. It turned out to be a Broken Nose Gear Down Limit Switch Actuator (Blade that depresses the button on the Switch). I replaced the Actuator/Blade and has been working Flawlessly ever since.

I have replaced all Instrument Cluster Lights, Landing Light, Nav Lights, Map Lights, Position Lights and Tail Beacon with LED's.

Installed the Used Seats that I had purchased online.

Finally got the Air Conditioner Repaired and has been working great.

I flew the Arrow to the Avionics shop in Fort Pierce on 12/31/19 for Aviation Upgrades. Installing:
    Garmin 345 Transponder
    Garmin 345 Audio Panel plus 4 place Intercom Jacks
    Traded the Garmin 430W in for used Garmin 530W
    Replace the Electric Trim Clutch
    Adjust Century III Autopilot - Oscillates back & forth, Left to Right

It should be out of the Avionics Shop in a couple weeks. When finished with the Avionics Upgrades, I will have a Grand Total of $35,000 in her. My next upgrade is going to be a JPI 900 Engine Monitor and maybe a Garmin Auto Pilot. Then will be the new interior. I am still very happy about my purchase and love to see the looks on other pilots faces when I tell the story. My buddy calls it the Unicorn.

Brad G

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Way to go, Brad. When she gets out of the shop, take a few pics for us! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Beautiful bird and great story! Did a full rebuild on my airplane 10 yrs ago, so your story brought back a lot of fond memories. Unless I missed it, what did you decide on the ADS-B?

Griff

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• edited January 2020
    I am having a Garmin 345 Transponder Installed right now for my ADS-B Solution.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• edited January 2020
    Wiil do, Scott.

I was able to trade my Garmin 430W in on a Garmin 530W that was just traded in from a plane that was being Upgraded to a 650. So, $2,000 for a bigger screen and that unit had just been rehabbed by Garmin a year ago. My 430 is 10 years old. I like the idea of the larger screen now that it also is going to have Weather and Traffic on it.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• You'll definitely like the bigger screen. And the 530 is an amazing piece of technology. Congrats on that!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Technology wise, I thought the 430 & 530 were comparable, just screen size. So the 530 is a step up in Technology as well?

Brad G

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Not that I know of. All the same hardware other than screen size but both are very fine products. I had a King KLN-89B and KLN-94 color gps for a long time and I switched to the 530 when it came out. I could never go back to a small screen. When I purchased my new-to-me Arrow it came with a brand spanking new 650 in it. I didn't like the screen size and a 750 wasn't going to work (size and $$$). I would up installing an Avidyne 540 which I love as much as my old 530.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Update on Push Button Start:

The Avionics Shop is nearly finished with my Arrow. I put it in the Shop for my ADS-B Transponder (Garmin GTX 345) install along with a new Garmin 345 Audio Panel plus 4 place jacks and upgraded my Garmin 430 to a 530, and replaced the thin cork clutch on the Electric Trim. While it was in the Avionics Shop, I asked them to install the Push Button Start unit, remove the Key/Ignition Switch and install a Stratus double USB Charger in the hole. Here are a few pics of the final results:

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE