Cherokee Six - Good, Bad, Ugly?

Since this is my first post, I guess I should introduce myself. You may recognize my name from the magazine. I'm the photographer for Piper Owner and Cessna Owner. I do quite a bit of air-to-air photography and I'll soon be looking for a new airplane. I sometimes shoot from a friend's Turbo Lance, but this is too expensive for me to maintain and limits the pilots who could fly me in it.

The goal would be to remove the doors in the back and take photos from there. I like the idea of fixed-gear because it increased the number of pilots who can jump in with a little training and of course will keep my insurance down.

Overall, from those of you that have flown them or own them, what are your thoughts on the plane overall?

Photo of me flying my current, non-photography plane! Meyer Little Toot

Comments

• Great to see you again, Jack! Your photos are amazing and I really love them :) A fixed gear and prop airplane will keep your cost way down. You could get a Cherokee 6 from the 1970's and that would allow you to take the door off. You can get one with either 260 or 300 hp and easy on insurance, fuel and maintenance. Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott, it was really nice to meet you and the rest of the team.

That's what I'm thinking, a 70's plane, and I like the easy on the insurance part! I usually have the same photo pilot, but not always, and it helps to keep a fairly simple plane so most people can fly it.

• Jack,
    I purchased my first plane in March, 1976 Cherokee Six, PA32-300. I really cannot speak to suitability for photo shoots, but I do enjoy flying it. Lots of room and great load carrying capacity. Not the fastest plane in the sky but does fairly well cruising at 135 kts. Average fuel burn is right at 18 gph. I am VFR pilot, so insurance is higher, My first year was $2,500. Keep in mind that you do need the High Performance endorsement to fly. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Ben

• Thanks so much, Ben!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• The Six is very stable and all though I have not done it, is certified for flight with the back doors off. My 260 has numerous speed mods and is a joy to fly. I transitioned to the Six from a 140.