Status of Web Site Improvements?

Can someone at POS please provide an update on the following?

1. Elimination of the ability to post as "Guest".

2. Ability to stay signed-on (eliminating the need to sign on with each visit).

3. Upgrading the clunky and cartoonish looking format which, among other things, wastes screen space. Not surprisingly, I cannot find any other web site that uses this software.

By the way, it's time to delete the "Dream Wings" thread. It now has over 4,000 posts of nothing but gibberish. Is anyone monitoring that?

Also, usage of sub-forums such as "Avionics" and "Maintenance" appears to have dropped off dramatically, primarily because all the "Guest" posters are driven to the General forum. And, dues-paying members are more likely to post all their messages there because they want their questions/comments to have maximum visibility. It seems to be time to consider opening the forum up to all REGISTERD users. The value of the web site for dues-paying members needs to come from sources other than the Forum. Just my two cents.

I have to make a decision soon on whether to renew my membership. Your answers will impact that decision.

Thanks.

Comments

• Need I say more, POS?
  • 1- I tend to agree with you prop fan. Posting as guest has to be eliminated. It's not good for the site. Make them sign up so they are an entity we can relate to. As for me, I don't respond to any guest posts.

2- Strange, I have no problem staying signed in. I just closed by browser, started it again, went to POS and I was still signed in. Cookies still there. Could be your browser settings. I use Firefox in Linux. A great non-Microsoft experience.

3- Yes, odd choice but it's validating quite well which mean the designers know what they are doing. I think it's more like not enough time in a day thing.

"Dream Wings" ...Spam scripts are problems once they find your public forums. Good reason to eliminate Guest .

General discussions is a “catch all” and should be eliminated. More topics should be added, Piloting, Navigation, and Weather are just some that come to mind. And then only registered user.
  • 2 - I'm using Firefox in Windows Vista. I'll try other some other options. Thanks.
  • I have no problem staying signed in. I just closed by browser, started it again, went to POS and I was still signed in. Cookies still there. Could be your browser settings. I use Firefox in Linux. A great non-Microsoft experience.
    I'm not sure that's what PF is talking about. I think he just wants the site to automatically log him in whenever he visits from the same machine, whether it's been 5 min or 5 days since his last visit. I use Firefox, but that's irrelevant; if it's been more than a couple of hours since my last visit, this site requires me to log in again. It's a minor annoyance that many other forums don't suffer from.
  • That's exactly what I'm talking about, jruhnke. It's a major annoyance to have to log in every time I visit the site. Dan said many months ago that the tech folks were working on that. I frequent numerous forums where I am auto-logged on at the start of each session -- with my current browser and O/S. It doesn't happen here.
  • Here is what I can tell you to date:
    1) the guest function will be going away soon, and everyone will be required to log in. Believe me when I say that I have been wanting this to happen for a long time. It appears that it will happen very soon, although Iam not at liberty to provide you with a date.
    2)Ability to stay logged on....seems to work fine for me, I can come back many hours later and can access without logging back in, however, I have to log in each time I log out or shut the window.
    3) Not sure if #3 was a question....seems like a opinion, which you are intitled to. I did not make the decision for the software. I'm sorry if you dont care for the way it is formatted, but it is what we have now.

I think many of the problems will be resolved for members and I, will happen once the guest function is taken out of the picture.
    The Dream Wings thread has been locked down, and has not appeared on my unread page for several weeks now. Are you showing it on your unread threads? I will monitor it to make sure there is no more posts on it. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I will take care of the rest of your requests and opinions including the elimination of general and adding the nav, piloting ectt..and take them to the people that make these decisions. Please know that we will need to determine that there is a strong desire for these new threads. I'm not against it, but need to check and make sure everyone else does.
  • Thanks, Piper Tech. Good news about the Guest feature going the way of the dodo. Regarding auto logon, I'm looking for the ability to go through a session, close the browser, come back the next day and automatically be logged on when I revisit this site. This is very common on other sites. As for the user interface, you're right; it's just my opinion. But, for heavens sake, you have to do a lot of needless scrolling to read messages because of all the wasted screen real estate. And, I haven't figured out what value the shields provide. Too bad this wasn't submitted for beta testing before it was rolled out. But, it is what it is. The Dream Wings thread is still visible on my computer and is presently up to 4072 gibberish replies.

Once again, thanks for the update.
  • Piper Tech wrote:
    2)Ability to stay logged on....seems to work fine for me, I can come back many hours later and can access without logging back in, however, I have to log in each time I log out or shut the window.

FWIW every other web forum I've seen (and that's quite a few!) have an option to put a cookie on your machine at login. When you return to the site later, recognizing the cookie the site automatically logs you back in. Some have timers on this function - on eBay the autologin lasts for a day, on Yahoo for two weeks. With others it never times out. That's what we're asking for.
  • OK this is the kind of clarification that I need. I will ask the IT guys to look into this and see what we can do. Dream Wings thread still isnt showing up on my computer, hince the reason it got to 4000 posts of gibberish, as I didnt know about it. I will have IT check into this too.
  • Re: the Dream Wings thread, it was showing up on my main box before it crashed a couple of days ago. I'm now using my laptop and it does not appear to be here, for whatever that's worth.

I've stayed out of the guest posting thing, but now that it's been decided I have to say I'm also quite happy about that as well and thank you.

Mike
  • PropFan

I agree 100% with your post, if the finally did something about the issues I just might renew my membership which is about to expire soon, I doubt they will is we having been talking about the Talking Heads for a while, they need to go back to the way it was and allow access to the forums but no posts unless your a member, as it has dragged down the quality of the forums obver the past couple of years.
  • Just wanting to verify the Dream Wings thread with you guys. I dont show it as a thread, and has been closed, and posts have stopped around 4100 when I did a advanced search for it. Is this what the rest of you are seeing?

Thanks
  • Yes, it seems to be gone now.