Rear Seat Belts for Cherokee 140

Guys, I'm in a nine line bind. I think the grandkids are saving their pennies to hire someone to kneecap me if I don't take them up for a ride in my little Cherokee 140 before long. Problem is there are three of them. The previous owner had rear seats installed in her (1964 model. Originally 2 seats but later type certified for 4), however he didn't have seat belts installed in the rear seats. I'm trying to find an STC from someone who has had this done before. If I can't get the Type Certification papers showing where this modification has been previously approved I'll have to go through the entire FAA certification process. The grandkids will be grandparents by then. Has anyone had this done before? If so please let me know where so I can contact them and get the STC. Thanks most kindly.

Mike

Comments

• Its covered under a service bulletin #393
  • Here's a direct link to the SB on the Piper website:
    http://www.piper.com/Company/Publications/SB 0393.pdf
  • Thanks, guys. I appreciate the replies. Not sure how much it will matter, but the problem with the SB is that my 140's serial number is not in the list. I have an early 1964 model ( hand brake and all ), heh. And this is for the later serial numbers. Also, reading it carefully, I note that it is for a modification of existing rear seat belts, not a new installation. Now that said, Tom the Piper parts list you sent me for the seat belt components for the installation DOES contain my 140's serial number so one assumes that if Piper has okayed the parts for the installation then the certification must have been done. I'm going to take both items to my mechanic as soon as the holiday is over and also to FSDO and see if that will do it.
    Again, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the help.
    Mike