Do AOPA/Jeppson chart printouts make it legal ?

Assume I am flying within the area of the Los Angeles sectional, but I do not have a current chart on board. I have just printed out the chart and flight log for each leg of the trip using the AOPA on-line flight planning service. Am I legal? Just curious, because I almost never unfold the chart. Just follow the log and the printed section of the chart. Kinda like a AAA Trip Ticket.

Comments

• I can think of nothing in the part 91 FARs that says you must have a current VFR sectional. However you are required to become familiar with "all available information" (91.103). If you feel your printouts achieve that, then you're legal. But if you were to come to the FAA's notice (an airspace bust for example) and the FAA felt your lack of a sectional chart contributed to the problem then you shouldn't be surprised if 91.103 is added to the violations you have to answer.
  • Rob is correct. Light, non-turbine aircraft flown under Part 91 have no regulatory requirement to carry any charts on board. You are free to bring along whatever you think appropriate.

Regards,
    Joe
  • I have always been told that if you have outdated charts on board you are violating the regs. However, if you have no charts on board you are legal. So the suggestion was, if you have an emergency, throw your outdated charts overboard.
  • That is incorrect Jim.

It is not required to have VFR charts on board for Part 91 operation so it does not matter if they are current or not just as you aren't required to have a current GPS database.
  • GM Wrote:
    > That is incorrect Jim.
    >
    > It is not required to have VFR charts on board for
    > Part 91 operation so it does not matter if they
    > are current or not just as you aren't required to
    > have a current GPS database.

Be careful what you say about GPS databases. An IFR GPS will have it's own supplement in the POH or AFM and anything said in that about not using an out of date database may be regulatory in nature if it is expressed as a limitation. The supplements for several Garmin GPSs (including mine) say you cannot fly an approach with an expired database. For en-route IFR navigation my GPS supplement states that an out of date database may be used only if each waypoint is manually verified against current data.
  • Thanks for the clairification but I believe the topic is VFR operations.
  • I am so frieking tired of dealing with "inspectors" that don't know what the hell they are talking about.

This is a copy of a directive from FAA legal to it's inspectors. If you are harrassed by the FEDS or you live in the Dallas area keep one in your pocket and tell them to take a hike if they bother you.

FAA policy for carrying current charts:

The term "charts" is not found in the FAA's Part 91 regulations (other than for large and turbine-powered multiengine airplanes in 91.503[a]). The specific FAA regulation, FAR 91.103 "Preflight Actions," states that each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. What is not specifically addressed in the regulation is a requirement for charts. You should always carry a current chart for safety's sake. An expired chart will not show new frequencies or newly constructed obstructions, some of which could be tall enough to be a hazard along your route of flight.

* The only FAA/FAR requirements that pertain to charts are: Title 14 CFR section 91.503[a] (Large and Turbojet powered aircraft)
    * Title 14 CFR section 135.83 (Air Carriers-Little Airplane)
    * Title 14 CFR section 121.549 (Air Carrier-Big Airplanes)

1. The FAA has rendered interpretations that have stated the foregoing. The subject of current charts was thoroughly covered in an article in the FAA's July/August 1997 issue of FAA Aviation News. That article was cleared through the FAA's Chief Counsel's office. In that article the FAA stated the following: "You can carry old charts in your aircraft." "It is not FAA policy to violate anyone for having outdated charts in the aircraft."
    2. "Not all pilots are required to carry a chart." "91.503..requires the pilot in command of large and multiengine airplanes to have charts." "Other operating sections of the FAR such as Part 121 and Part 135 operations have similar requirements."
    3. ..."since some pilots thought they could be violated for having outdated or no charts on board during a flight, we need to clarify an important issue. As we have said, it is NOT FAA policy to initiate enforcement action against a pilot for having an old chart on board or no chart on board." That's because there is no regulation on the issue.
    4. ..."the issue of current chart data bases in handheld GPS receivers is a non-issue because the units are neither approved by the FAA or required for flight, nor do panel-mounted VFR-only GPS receivers have to have a current data base because, like handheld GPS receivers, the pilot is responsible for pilotage under VFR.
    5. "If a pilot is involved in an enforcement investigation and there is evidence that the use of an out-of-date chart, no chart, or an out-of-date database contributed to the condition that brought on the enforcement investigation, then that information could be used in any enforcement action that might be taken."

If you, as an FAA Safety Inspector, Designated Pilot Examiner, Flight Instructor, or other aviation professional are telling pilots something other than the foregoing then you are incorrect.
  • We seem to have some real scholars in Dallas. Someone mentioned a few months ago that Dallas was "violating" pilots for not having an owners manual in addition to the AFM on board.
  • This sounds a lot like the "one more thing" attitude at the FAA that Paul Bertorelli wrote about in the editorial of Aviation consumer. The problem here is that some inspectors think that they have authorities that they don't have to interpret.

My wife and I were ramped checked some time ago when we landed after some hood practice. Even though I was flying, since she was the safety pilot and therefore a required crew member, he asked for her medical and license as well. He did not ask to see charts though.
  • Does it have to be a sectional or are WAC charts OK? I carry the WAC charts and the low Airway charts for IFR.
  • To repeat: there is no requirement under Part 91 to have any charts on board for VFR ops. So, any chart you happen to have is "legal." Best, of course, to have current charts.