JPI FS-450 Fuel Scan install help please.

I'm trying to get everything I need for whoever is going to install this and I want to have the least amount of downtime as possible.
The instructions say NO NOT use aluminum fittings and also use 2 new pieces of fuel line.
Does anyone know what fittings I need and what size and length fuel line I need to get. instructions say transducer fittings have 1/4 thread. So I assume that the fittings and fuel hose I need are 1/4" ID and 1/2" OD. Also assuming the plane has 1/4" ID and 1/2" OD fuel line. Am I correct?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1976 Piper Arrow, LYC IO-360-C1C

Comments

• That is correct. All fuel fittings in front of the firewall need to be steel. Also, aircraft lines are all sized based on I.D. not O.D. and are expressed in 1/16th of an inch. Your fuel line is 1/4" (4/16") I.D. and the thread size on the Flowscan transducer are 1/8"NPT. Therefore you will need 2 AN816-4 fittings (steel, 1/8" NPT male and -4 (1/4") 37 degree (AN) male flare on the other side).

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an816.php

The transducer is installed on the line either between the fuel pump and fuel servo or between the fuel servo and "spider valve" (check the instructions). This is accomplished by determining were on the line the transducer will be installed, marking the line with the location, removing the line, placing the transducer (with the fittings) were you marked and measuring for 2 new fuel lines to be attached to the transducer so that the overall length matches the original. The fuel lines are measured from mating surface to mating surface of the flare fittings and to the center off the tube with angle fittings. The new hoses will need to have firesleeve.
    I like the Aeroquip AE466 hose with the integral firesleeve. They are a bit more money but are much easier to work with as the “O.D.” is much smaller and they are more flexible
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ae466.php

When figuring out the location for the transducer (and sizes of the new hose assemblies), try to keep the transducer level with the wires coming out the top with as straight a run as possible before and after the transducer.

I doubt that you will be able to figure it all out before the plane goes in the shop so plan on an extra day or two for the shop to order/receive the new hose assemblies.

Now would be a good time to replace the other fuel lines too if they are more than a few years old. You knew I was going to spend more of your money, didn't you? ;-)

PilotKris
  • The Continental powered Turbo Arrow has a completely different fuel system than the Lyc powered Arrow. Because of the design of the system, which includes a vapor return line, the only place the transducer can be located is in the line just ahead of the spider valve. That line, unlike the Lycoming which is flexible, is solid stainless steel.

PilotKris
  • Kris,
    Thank you so much for the help. You said the threads are 1/8 on the transducer, but the manual says the inlet and outlet ports of the transducer are 1/4 NPT threads. So would I need 1/4 to 1/4 fittings?
    Also, the line from the servo to the engine driven pump is shaped in a U and only about 6" total. the pump is mounted right above the servo and the outlet from the pump to the inlet of the servo are only about 3-4" apart. so I think the line needs to be longer and also braced somewhere. What's your suggestion? Also the manual says nothing about connecting from the servo to the spider, so I think it's supposed to go between the engine fuel pump to the servo.

I really appreciate the help :)
  • I stand corrected, ¼” NPT to ¼” flare would be AN816-4-4 (I was working from memory).

As for where to route/mount, give JPI a call. I’m sure they’ve installed one or two in an Arrow (non-turbo) before. I’ve installed one in a Turbo Arrow and on an IO-360-A1A in an Experimental but the fuel servo was on the back of the motor not the bottom.

PilotKris
  • Awesome,
    thank you very much Kris.
    JPI said since the connections are only a few inches away from each other, that I should use around 2 feet and make a loop.