looking for pictures of a fuel flow transducer installed in a Arrow

I'm trying to get an idea of how to install the fuel flow transducer in my 1976 200HP Arrow and would really appreciate if anyone had a photo or 2 or the plumbing I'd really appreciate it.
My engine driven pump outlet is only a few inches from the fuel servo inlet and the fuel hose now is about 6-8 inches and in a U shape.
JPI said to use about 2 feet and make a loop.
Just curious how other people installed it.
Thanks.

Comments

• I was just about to suggest exactly this.

Someone got a picture for him?
  • Kris,
    Since JPI told me that since the distance between the engine fuel pump and fuel servo is only inches apart that I should make a loop with roughly 2 feet of fuel line.
    Can you please look at this link and give me your opinion which line I should get to make a even loop, I was thinking Style D with 45deg ends, hose style 303-0 since my hoses are orange (I guess it doesn't matter since I'll use the orange fire sleeve) and size -4 since I'd be using 1/4 fittings.
    Also, the fitting on the fuel servo is I believe a 45deg. If it were straight it would hit the throttle arm or whatever it is. And can't I just use the old fittings, I can't see a fitting with a bend it it from the spruce page you gave me.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/hoseAssemblyform.pdf

Actually I think I'll just get the Style A with straight end to end fittings. Spruce said the hose with 45deg ends is $157 for a foot and $95 for 1 straight and 1 45, and only $39 for both ends straight.
  • Sure, you can (and should) use the existing fittings (NPT to flare), the only new ones you have to buy are for the transducer. But, the new fittings and ends of the new lines should be straight going into and out of the transducer.

When routing new lines, it is generally not a good idea to have elbows on the lines themselves but to use a treaded elbow. If that is not an option, try like heck not to have an elbow on both ends of the line (style D,E,F) as it is VERY hard to “clock” them accurately and there is no adjusting after the line has been fabricated.

I prefer the 466 line as it is more flexible, has a smaller O.D. and the firesleeve is built in.

Don’t forget when you’re figuring all this out that the whole transducer will have to be covered in firesleeve.

PilotKris
  • Thank you very much Kris, I'll use the old fittings on the servo and pump and get 2 new straight fittings for the transducer. I just thought curved would make it easier to make a loop out of the line as what JPI suggested. Also you said the 466 has a smaller diameter and the fire sleeve included.
    From the fill out form I thought that the difference between the hose style numbers were only color.
    In summary, I'll get 2 AN816 4-4 fittings, 2 1ft hoses style 466 A and I should be ok?
    I'm glad I looked closely at the transducer, they sent me a 231 in the sealed box with the gauge and it was even labeled 201. Bit they hurried and already sent me a 201 transducer.
    PLUS, they seem to answer the phone pretty quickly now.
    Another question, do you know where to get a good price on a adapter cable to run the FS-450 to my Garmin 396 and still use my power plug.
    I used to have a Zaon traffic alert unit and it came with a cig power plug that plugged into the Garmin and had a pigtail that connected to the Zaon to interface data to the GPS
  • I think you've got one extra RS-232 in-out that you can access through the power/data cable (the XM USB cable uses one of the in-out ports). There are 2 RS-232 connections on the cable but I believe that only one is active. I might have an extra cable (new) that I'll make you a good deal on.

Before you order the hoses, I'd mock up the installation with some old hose and plan out the routing and were the Adel clamps will be located (nylon tie-wraps should be avoided). It's best if there is one on each side of the transducer fairly close to it. Obviously you want to avoid the exhaust by a wide margin. Remember, the hose is measured from flange to flange.

PilotKris
  • Thanks Kris, I just bought a genuine Garmin hardwired power/data cable on Ebay for $22 shipped that will interface the FS-450 to my 396 and power it too.
    And thanks Matt, was nice talking to you. If you can beat the show special I might do the exchange since I just had an unfriendly quick answer to my question from JPI :)
  • Bear in mind that EI needs an extra display for FF with their engine monitors (when you upgrade) and I don't believe that FF is stored in the data like with JPI (VERY useful to have).

Now JPIs monitors might be able to piggy back on EIs transducers so if Matt can match JPIs price, you would able to use Matt's pretty red transducer. If EIs unit is STC’d as a replacement for your mechanical, pressure type fuel flow gauge, that would be a very compelling reason to go EI as you could eliminate a pressurized fuel line in the cabin.

BTW, are you sure about the fuel line I.D.? Are you sure the lines aren't -6 (3/8" I.D.)? What size wrench do they take on the "nut"?

PilotKris
  • Thanks Kris,
    im not sure about the line size, i just assummed it was 1/4" id because the transducer is. Ill have to check that out.
  • Bottom line, it takes 2 displays and 3 boxes to do what the one JPI box will do but their "black box" (MUX-8A?) can record other RS-232 data too. Oh, and the EI FF transducer is much prettier. How come there is no information available on the capabilities of the MUX-8A or software that can actually do something with the combined data (it's kinda a useless feature unless there is a way to use the data)?

Another question, how do you determine HP without RPM and MP sensors?

You've missed out on a huge (and I mean HUGE!) advantage of your FF as it can replace the pressure type FF of fuel injected motors. That is a MAJOR increase in safety as it eliminates the pressurized fuel line going from the spider valve to the FF gauge in the cockpit.
    PilotKris
  • Ignoring for the moment that all Jasper wanted was a picture of a FF transducer installed in a Lycoming powered Arrow and not a discussion of what FF system to purchase, an anonymous product endorsement is pretty much useless.

PilotKris