2nd panel radio

What is a good inexpensive panel radio. I alway carry my Vertex standar with me, but would like to add a 2nd radio. Was thinking about the icom a-210. Any comments?

11J

Comments

• Hi eastside, (just a suggestion but there is an avionics forum for these types of questions)
    What are you flying and what do you have for a primary radio? What's your aircraft voltage? Sounds like you are VFR.
    This information may be relevant to the answer?
    The Icom A-210 is a good radio and value but there might be a good option for less?
    Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com
  • 12 volt Mitchell flipflop, yeah vfr for me, I'm a fair weather flyer just for the fun of it.
  • Hi eastside90804,
    I'm a fan of the Michel radios. Decent radio and excellent value. The IC-A210 s a good radio and value also. It has one "quirk". You remove the faceplate to install it in the tray.
    The faceplate is connected to the radio by a "ribbon" cable. Just be careful (you or your installer) not to damage the cable. DO YOU HAVE AN AUDIO PANEL?
    That's an issue when you add a second panel mounted radio. You need the ability to switch transmit and receive between the two radios. There is no "right" way to do this and avoid and audio panel. Thanks! Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com
  • I'm in the shop now for some panel work. I only have the one main Nav-Com. Among the other things, the shop is going to set me up with a plugin hooked to an aircraft mounted antenna for my Yaesu FTA-230 handheld. If you already have the handheld. that may be a viable option for you.

I have never used a handheld hooked to a mounted antenna, supposed to work pretty good.