scimitar three blade for lance

I have been researching the options for a new prop for my '77 lance. Three blades look nice but from reading input by others, there seems to be a common problem with a harmonic vibration with the standard design. The scimitar design performance features are poorly promoted by either Hartzell or McCauley. Does anyone have experience or information?

Comments

• I have a McCauley Scimitar 3-blade prop installed on my Cherokee Six.
    Also, I replaced the old governor for a new PCU5000.

The combination is great - smooth, better climb, slightly quieter than the original 2 blade Hartzell.

I did consider the 3-blade Hartzell scimitar - however, the STC for the 300HP PA-32's is owned Brian Sutton, of Professional Pilots, not related to Hartzell. I did speak to Brian, really friendly guy, and he gave me a lot of information about it. You can buy the Hartzell direct from him, or through a distributor such as Knots2U.

Like I stated earlier, I went with the McCauley 3-blade scimitar for a couple of reasons: the hub is one piece compared to the split case of the Hartzell, my local propeller dealer (Sullivan Prop in Hayward CA) was a proponent of McCauley and would stand behind the problem should an issue arise. (Not saying that the Hartzell is better/worse).

I did have a minor issue with the McCauley - and sure enough - Sullivan's stepped up and resolved it.
    Also, the guys who make the PCU5000 also provide great support both via email and on the phone.

You mentioned issues with the harmonics - the STC that Brian did was to verify the operation, I am not sure if there is a restricted operating RPM (don't think so) though on other installations, with the non-Scimitar, there have been issues.
    For the McCauley I have, no restrictions.

Hope this helps!

Andy
  • I have a McCauley Scimitar 3-blade prop installed on my Cherokee Six.
    Also, I replaced the old governor for a new PCU5000.

The combination is great - smooth, better climb, slightly quieter than the original 2 blade Hartzell.

I did consider the 3-blade Hartzell scimitar - however, the STC for the 300HP PA-32's is owned Brian Sutton, of Professional Pilots, not related to Hartzell. I did speak to Brian, really friendly guy, and he gave me a lot of information about it. You can buy the Hartzell direct from him, or through a distributor such as Knots2U.

Like I stated earlier, I went with the McCauley 3-blade scimitar for a couple of reasons: the hub is one piece compared to the split case of the Hartzell, my local propeller dealer (Sullivan Prop in Hayward CA) was a proponent of McCauley and would stand behind the problem should an issue arise. (Not saying that the Hartzell is better/worse).

I did have a minor issue with the McCauley - and sure enough - Sullivan's stepped up and resolved it.
    Also, the guys who make the PCU5000 also provide great support both via email and on the phone.

You mentioned issues with the harmonics - the STC that Brian did was to verify the operation, I am not sure if there is a restricted operating RPM (don't think so) though on other installations, with the non-Scimitar, there have been issues.
    For the McCauley I have, no restrictions.

Hope this helps!

Andy
  • not sure why my last post got duplicated.....?