Cherokee 140 recommended oil?

I know everyone has their own opinion, but want to see what y'all are using. some insight first. I have had this plane (1972 PA28-140, 1400 SMOH) for just over 1.5 years and I have been using the same oil that was used in it before, Areoshell 15W-50. I do regular oil samples every 25-35 hours and Blackstone has been telling me that this oil has/can/could increase some copper and other readings. So I have been thinking of switching to straight oil instead of semi-synthetic to see if things change. I was looking at using Areoshell 100W & 80W depending on the season. It seems like some A&P folks do not like Semi-Synthetic because it can get too thin when cool and not coat the engine as nice as the true oil types. Also they think that the SS also does not "capture" or suspend partials as nicely as straight oil too.

Also I was told by someone that the Lycoming engines require some sort of special oil or oil additive, which I have never heard of this before. Is this true or can I just use W100/W80 without any additive?

Comments

• The type & weight of the oil is only one part of the care equation. A few other factors are frequency of use, oil change intervals, preheat, additives, etc... The way I do it, may not be ideal for the next guy. Maybe the owner is also better off with the cheapest oil and just changing it more often? Your climate would be a consideration, FL or ND?

Here's what I generally do. I use Shell 100 'plus' in the heat of the Summer, and Shell 15w-50, with some Camguard in the Winter. I also use a Tanis preheat with any temp below 40-45 or so. I also try to fly at least every 2 weeks for 30 minutes or more. My oil & filter changes are about every 4-5 months or 35-40 hours, depending. If I had a lot of hours early in the cycle, the hours may trend higher. I keep the oil level in the 5.5-6 Qt range on preflight, 0320 based in WI.

I bought 2 cases of Exxon Elite this Summer on sale. When they are gone I may just go to Phillips 66 multi-grade oil. When the flying is more sporadic I add some Camguard. That said, I believe frequency of use trumps the Camguard additive.