Upgrade Autopilot

Hello,
I being happy owner of Piper PA-32 Lancer last year, so I made some necessary maintenance and this year after engine overhaul I start regularly flaying. After couple of hours at Lancer especially when I flow more than 1 hour I found 1 axis autopilot not suitable due fact that I need still balance plane to keep same altitude. So my question is if it possible to install S-TEC 2axis autopilot instead of old Altimatic II. I checked it at intenret, but I am not sure if it possible for such old plane, Saratoga is ok, but any notice about old PA-32. So if anybody has any info about it I will be very grateful. Also I need EASA cert (I am flying in Europe)
Peter

Comments

• Hi dsp71. (peter)
    It is very likely that there is an STC for your PA-32R "Lance" (note, it's not a Lancer)
    To confirm, I would need the full designation for your aircraft, PA-32R-xxx It is likely that the FAA STC is accepted by EASA I can confirm that also.
    Interesting fact I just discovered and that is that the Piper Lance was made in Brazil by Embraer!
    Bottom line is you will need a good STEC/Cobham approved facility in Europe to do your installation. have you explored that?
    Also note, if your Piper Autocontrol IIB (as I suspect) is working fine, you can add just altitude hold to the aircraft as considerable savings vs. the 55X.
    Adding a System 55X to a lance in the US is about a $22-24,000 investment here. It's a major upgrade by any standards.
    Send me the full designation for your Lance and I can confirm STC for you? Bob Hart www.Avionixhelp.com
  • Hi,

Thank you for answer, well Piper PA-32R Lance serial number 32R7680073 former reg. F-BXSE now OK-PSY (I supposed produce at USA and deliver direct to France)
    I found that nearest facility where can install S-TEC autopilot is Avionic Straubing 1:30 hour flying from Prague.
    Yes, I have Autocontrol IIB but I would like to connect to GNS430 which is installing there but all dependence on price if altitude hold device much cheaper I will do it this way.

Peter
  • Hi Peter,
    The STEC/Cobham System 30 ALT is the simple Altitude -Hold add on for your Piper Autocontrol IIB. Installed in the US, it's about $9500-10,000 Installed. (about $6500-7000 equipment and 40 Hours labor). Again, if your IIB is working fine and the roll features (heading and GPS/Nav tracking, are meeting your needs), then the System 30 ALT may be the economical solution to your problem. Note the System 55X does have more altitude related functions like glideslope coupling and vertical speed programming. The system 30 ALT is just that, you get to your assigned altitude, push the "ALT" button, and the aircraft stays there. Good luck!
    Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com
  • Hi Bob,

yes my autopilot work perfect in one axis with GNS so I expected that S-TEC 55 can also keep glideslope not just be ALT hold if just ALT HOLD than I will look for STEC 30 ALT soulution.
    Peter
  • I had my Century Altimatic III worked on at Mineral Weels by the Century Techs, Now the old Autopilot flies like it is brand new, and with it coupled to my g500 and 430W, Wow it flies the course perfectly makes the GPS turns all on its own and the Altitude hold works perfectly, and then the best is the ILS and verticle tracking all the way down to decision altitude. Century likewise has come out with a newer replacement but the old autopilot when configured correctly works perfectly. However when I upgrade the Century unit will be my choice. So before you spend the dollars check out the guys in the shop at century and see what they recommend.
  • Hi Acucpa and dsp71,
    I agree, rebuilding a Piper or Century autopilot is a desirable option. Autopilot Central does this all the time but ... you missed two significant things. dsp71 is in Europe and I doubt if he will find that capability there and he wants altitude hold and maybe glideslope coupling and his Piper Autocontrol !!B does not have altitude hold. If you have a PA32R-300 or 301, there is an STC for all of the Stec (now Genesys Aerosystems) autopilots. The PSS60 is an upgrade of the System 30 ALT and again, is an add on to your IIB but it also has Glideslope Coupling and a few other features not found in the 30ALT. You might check that out. Bottom line, talk to your local Genesys dealer. The System 55X is probably about twice as expensive to install than the PSS60 so your long term plans for the aircraft play a role in your decision. If you plan to keep the aircraft for a long time and can afford the 55X, go for it. If you see yourself upgrading in a few years, be more conservative! I don't know what's going on with aircraft values where you are but Legacy Aircraft values are "tumbling" here in the US. Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com .