Powertow

I am considering a new powertow. I have experience with the gas engine model but was wondering if anyone could suggest which would be better, gas or electric.
Thank you.

Comments

• I tried the electric first. It was the "power stick" or something like that. It sucked. It wasn't enough power to push the plane up the small incline and over the tracks of the hanger door. (I had a 182 RG at the time) I got a gas one and it is awesome.
  • Thank you for the info. Was your electric tow a Powertow 12vdc version of the 40EZ model?
  • We actually have used the V-Thrust which is drill-powered for a while now. We also have a bit of a steep incline just before the door and the door tracks. We need a good charge on the battery and some push from the user at the door tracks but it does the job on our Warrior.

Now we just got a C-120 taildragger to add to the stable. Yes it is a light airplane but pushing up that incline while being sure not to hit the Warrior or anything else is not really an option without a powered tug. Anyone with taildragger tug recommendations?
  • No, it had what looked like an electric drill one end of a tube, that turned a wheel on the other end. That wheel rested on the nose wheel of the airplane and turned it by friction. You kind of had to press down on it. It pulled it out ok (downhill), but was very tough pushing back in up the slope and over the hanger tracks. And if the wheel was wet, forget it.
    I got the single wheel model 40 gas powered. It is awesome. That baby will pop a wheely. ha...
  • I have a sidewinder and it works great with our Lance. Hangar doesn't have a lip and not much of an incline.
  • Thanks everyone.