MFD erractic

I have a 2004 Saratoga II HP. It has the Avidyne exp 5000 panels. When in flight and the landing lights, fuel pumps ,or pitot heat is turned on the EGT indicator goes up and down and gives false reading. When it is turned back off everything goes back to normal. The panel has been replaced but the problem continues. Anyone had this problem, or have any ideas?

Comments

• Hi Mark,
    If I'm correct, the EX5000's do not provide engine data and your EGT is in no way connected? What engine analyzer do you have or do you have a single channel analog EGT?
    Have you tried turning the other electrical items on and off one at a time to see if one of these is in some way interfering with the EGT? Tell me more about what you have and I can try to help? Thanks! Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com
  • Bob
    Sorry I have the entegra 2 display MFD serial # 00001727. I have cycled individually all the larger power equipment, pitot, landing lights, fuel pump and AC. When the items are turned off everything goes back to normal. I have been told there is a data converter box in the plane that may be causing some of the problems.

Mark
  • Sorry Mark,
    The Aftermarket EX-5000's don't have engine management. The Factory installed system in your Saratoga does.
    I talked to Avidyne Tech Support, they suggested you either have a wiring problem which is somehow going to ground or you have an internal problem in either your remote DAU (Data Acquistition Unit or SEU (analog converter). Thanks! Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com
  • Bob
    Update
    I have replaced the DAU, A/C and blower switch, seems that the a/c blower is part of the sequence required to get thing going array.. We have eliminated the blower as a source of noise. Also eliminated the ground to the panel. Upon further inspection we discovered that the previous owner's mechanic replace 3 of the egt probes with different types. And the ones not replace were pretty far gone. We are replacing all 6 with the new kit # 88 420 003, required by Piper ($ 3,600 per 6). Since it was obvious this was a problem I went this route maybe it is the source of the problem. I will update you when complete.

Mark
  • Hi Mark,
    $3600 for 6 EGT probes is robbery! I checked with the place I get Piper Parts and the price is real from the factory. Let me check some other sources and see if we can do better?
    Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com
  • Hi kramer,
    I think Alcor makes a compatible probe for a lot less money but I can find the specs on the probe?
    We need to know whether the EGT probes are: Grounded or Ungrounded, Type? K, E or J Mount: Hose clamp (pipe size) or Threaded (thread size) and Wire Stagger (not so important but we correct makes for a neater harness). If you or anyone can has the answers, maybe, we can save you some money?
    Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com