Cherokee 140 Engine temp question

Hi All, I know this question has probably come up before, but I was wondering if other Cherokee owners were seeing the same results as I am. When climbing out my #1 reaches a temp of around 415-430 while the other cylinders are hovering around 380-390, airspeed is around 85 MPH. Once I transition to cruse, #1 fall between 385-400 while the others are around 366-380.

The questions are:
1) what is the red line for the Lycoming 0-320? From my research it is 500, but I know the lower the better.
2) what are the temps you are seeing, and are you seeing that your #1 is higher then the others?
3) do you think it is a baffling issue or is this a "normal" Cherokee thing?

Comments

• Lycoming suggests that 500 is red line and my A&P agrees, however Mike Busch who has done several webinars on the subject (http://www.eaavideo.org/default.aspx) argues that you should consider much lower as a red line. My number 2 cylinder has hit 460 on climb out a couple of times and I plan to have my A&P examine it. I have set my redline on my JPI at 450. I have read that you can put a flashlight on top of the engine and close the cowling and look for any evidence of light below as a way to find air leaks in the baffle. Mixture may be another place to look since richer mixture is supposed to provide a cooling effect.
  • My max CHT in climbout is like 370 and in cruise they are around 320-330 (hotter obviously in the summer. So I don't think it is a cherokee thing (Mine is a Warrior though). I climb at 90 kt (so about 103 MPH) untill I get higher where I have to pull the nose up some to keep a climb. You might try climbing at a higher AS but still your temps are kinda high in cruise as well.

# 1 should be in the front shouldn't it? That would seem the least likely to be the hottest cylinder.

Yes, Busch suggests 400 or 450 I think.

Check baffling first and also maybe fuel flow if you have it to see if you are getting the flow you should.