question about engine logbook

Hi, I bought a 71 Cherokee 140 about a month ago, its the second aircraft I've owned and I'm really enjoying it. The night before last I received a call from a man who had owned the plane in the past, I think he got rid of it in 2003. He said that he had just "found" the original engine logbook for the plane and wanted to know if I'd be interested in having it. I said I sure would and if he would be good enough to send it to me I would be in his debt. He said that he would be glad to as he knew the log would significantly raise the value of the plane and he would be willing to mail it to me for 2000 dollars!

Is there a FAA rule that requires the logbooks to stay with the plane to which they belong. The man who called me is the owner of a flight school and I'm fairly sure he knows all the rules, but I feel like my logbook is being held for ransom.

Should I contact a lawyer or is there any recourse for this problem. I believe that this man is just out to get every penny he can and just like a dishonest used car salesman doesn't care too much about the rules.
HELP!!!
Mark

Comments

• Hello Mark, i have been in your situation many times, i don't really know the legal stuff but my in my experience you have 2 ways to go here, the 1st one and the right (emotional) way is get a lawyer and punish this asshole for trying to extorsion you, and then the 2nd and most intelligent way to go is to offer him 300$ for it... see... this book is only worth something to you in the entire planet, he cannot sell it to anybody else or just wait to someday that you sell the plane and call the next owner, i know it sucks, but if i were you that's problably what i would do, the book does increase your plane value, but i think you can live without if you never reach an agreement with this person, if this guy has a school i hope he doesn't teach etics, good luck