PA28-140/150 (1969 Piper Cherokee)

I own a 1969, Piper Cherokee (PA28-140 w/150). The plane is in great shape, well maintained, hangered at Meadow Lake Airport outside Colorado Springs and has not flown much over the last 2 years due to personal reasons. I know temp./alt. might impact actual oleo strut normal extension (3.25 inches nose gear and 4.5 inches main gear), however, today I noticed when I went to check on the airplane that one side of the main gear seemed a little higher than the other side, a difference of maybe 1 to 1.5 inches (difference between the main gear oleo extension). The gear whose oleo appeared higher, I checked the wing tank, it was almost empty, the other wing had about 1/4 tank of fuel. Can someone advise if this is normal? If not, is this a quick or cheap fix (relatively speaking)? I have read about nitrogen being used, leaky seals (I have not seen any leaking), etc. Please advise soonest, I am having my biannual flight review soon, in this airplane. The aircraft annual was due in April, I am having it done in late June. Thank you.

Comments

• Hi Lloyd,
    Stand by while I check with our A&P.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi, this came from our A&P, Erich:

"I would say it's normal. I'd top it off (fuel) and re check extension, if they are uneven I'd have the local shop service per the MM with dry nitrogen.

Also I use a product called strut guard to clean, lubricate, and preserve the chrome. It's a spray and it will go a long way to saving the seals in the strut and the chrome from being gouged etc as well as rust. WD40 could also be used."

~Erich

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!