CENTURY IIB AUTOPILOT

CENTURY IIB AUTOPILOT, when I activate, it will fly along ok for a bit then it starts oscillation, then it will put me in a gentle bank then it will finally turn back to the bug. if I remove the autopilot and either shake it a bit or blow on it then it will begin to work for a short time. but I am always getting the oscillation. 1976 piper archer ii

Comments

• Hi and thanks for writing about your autopilot woes. I just spent about $2,500 to fix my Century 2000 altitude hold (oscillation) problems and it took a year. Let's be frank, you have a very old autopilot, perhaps as old as your airplane. You can spend megabucks to repair or overhaul it but in the end you're going to have a really old autopilot. I swapped out my old Century 3 autopilot about five years ago for a shiny new Century 2000 and I couldn't be happier. Yes, I had one expensive repair but it's a solid device with altitude hold and GPSS. You may look into a new or even used current generation autopilot from Century (www.centuryflightsystems.com) or S-Tec (Genesys) (http://genesys-aerosystems.com). They will both sell you an STC installation kit. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!