ADS-B Validation Flight

Newly installed ADS-b transponder. As you probably know, the FAA is offering a $500 rebate to the first 20,000 pilots who install 2020 compliant ADS-b transmitters that meet certain program requirements. After "reserving" your rebate on the FAA rebate website, purchasing and installing the equipment, you are required to fly your plane (for at least 30 min recommended) in airspace where a mode C transponder is currently required (i.e., where ADS-b out will be required in 2020). You then request what is called a PAPR (Public ADS-B Performance Report) from the FAA on the internet. You complete a form entering the day of your flight, tail number, type of equipment you have installed, etc. and the report is sent to your email address in less than 30 min. When you request your PAPR, you should also receive a GAIRS report (GA Incentive Requirements Status report). This tells you whether your equipment PASSED or FAILED the performance test during your validation flight. You must pass the test to receive a code on the GAIRS report to claim your rebate.
BE AWARE - If you Google PAPR, you can go directly to the FAA public site and request your PAPR report. This is what I did, and the report came in less than 15 min. However, I DID NOT receive the GAIRS report, so I could not tell whether the equipment had passed or failed. After waiting several hours, I called AOPA for some help. Apparently, in order to get the GAIRS report, you MUST request the PAPR report from the REBATE WEBSITE (ADS-b Rebate, Step 4). The link takes you to the very same form I went to directly from Google, and you put in the same information, but by linking to the form FROM THE REBATE WEBSITE, you get both the PAPR and GAIRS reports. When I requested the PAPR report from the rebate website, I received both reports in less than 15 minutes via email.
Hope this long-winded post helps someone save some time when navigating the ADS-b rebate process.

Comments

• I only submitted this ONCE! Why it appears 4 times is beyond me. There is no apparent way to delete posts!. I think I remember why I stopped posting here. LOL
  • Hi and thanks for writing this informative message about ADS-B and the rebate program. Regarding multiple posts: I only see one but if I see multiple posts I will clean it up for you. Again, thanks so much for writing.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I flew into class c for over 30 minutes after my install. When i got back from my flight i follwed the requirements and 1 hour later they had sent an Email saying i failed. Then less then 1 hour later they resent me a message sayng you passed. I beleive it goes through a computer which looks at it and if a Fail is generated, then an actual person looks at it. This Is what i was told. The computer almost denies 90% of requests. After 1 month i received my $500
  • Congrats on the ADS-B Out completion. Thanks so much for letting us know.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!