Piper Lance Prebuy inspection

I am a new member to the forum. Looking for experienced individuals for advice on where to do a prebuy in or around Somerset,KY. Looking at a 1977 straight tail Lance with new paint and newer interior. It needs engine and avionics. Waiting for Dynon to come out with their stuff. Any advice or suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• Sounds like a great plane. I have a 1977 Seneca (same plane, two engines). Knowing you have to replace avionics makes the pre-buy easier. What about the instruments? Are you going to yank them for Dynon? In the short term are they okay? Post a photo when you have time. Also, I'm here to assist.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Unfortunately after I drove two hours to view this aircraft and went through all of the logs the owner sold it on the phone during my visit. Wasn't very business like as I thought I had first dibs. He wanted $62,900 for it and the caller said he would pay full price and promised a down payment today with the rest tomorrow. The aircraft had a paint job from 2013 on it. It was done by a mechanic in his shop. And it showed. Not a professional job. Almost felt they were trying to cover something up. I think the aircraft was in rough shape to begin with. Not to mention I was not going to fork over the total amount without a prebuy. Don't understand how anybody can buy a descent aircraft without a prebuy. Just went through a prebuy in Texas and the aircraft needed $35,000 worth of work. One item needed a waiver just to fly it back to its origin. It was a mess. Thanks for your reply Scott.

• Okay, if you need help in the future, just let me know. :) I'm always here... good luck with the airplane purchase. If I hear of any good Lance's (or Saratoga's) out there I'll let you know.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!