Hello! I fly and own a 1979 Dakota (PA-28-236)

Hello,

I found the Piper Owner's Society at #OSH18, and am glad to have a crowd sourcing option for our plane as I am a new owner and want to take the best care of it! As a family of 4, I love the payload on our Dakota, and the speed is great. My husband is a new student pilot, so the fixed gear really helped our insurance costs as he is learning to fly in it.

I am based just west of Indianapoils at Hendricks County, 2R2.

Looking forward to great discussions here!

Comments

• Welcome to the party! I have a Warrior, debated on upgrading to a Dakota but the upside wasn't enough from the Warrior and I don't want retractable gear. Dakota's are nice planes!

• Welcome.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Lots of helpful insights on this site. An “on call” A&P for questions also. Welcome!

• I am based in Maysville, KY, Northeast Ky. Have flown into Indy for an AOPA fly in. Great steakhouse downtown, can’t recall the name....

• My wife just remembered: St Elmos Steakhouse

• How did you get your husband into flying?

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Welcome to the Piper Owner Society! As you've no doubt figured out, there are lots of A+ members here to communicate with. I'm also here, your forum moderator and Pipers Magazine author to help you find parts and get answers to your questions. Let me know if I can be of assistance to you! In the meantime, have fun online with us. You have a beautiful bird! Thanks for posting pics of it.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Welcome, I'm new here myself joining about the same time you did. Nice plane! Enjoy the aircraft and the new connections here.

Jim

• Thank you, all!

@Brother - I got my husband into flying simply by taking him along! Handing him the controls for the cruise phase and telling him to fly the "pink line." Ha! He's now realizing there is a lot more to it, but luckily we should save some instruction money because he's now asking a lot of questions and working through some of the practice while we're all in the plane and I'm PIC.

@Kentwkalb - St. Elmo's is well known around here! Great place, indeed. Next time you come up this way let me know and I can recommend a few other excellent places to eat near whichever airport you fly into. I bought the plane from KY (KLEX), so have flown down there and back a few times, beautiful to fly over!

• I wish I could get my wife into flying...that would be neat. She doesn't mind a ride along every so often (like twice a year) but that is about it...

• Thanks! Will do! The horse farms near KLEX offer a very scenic view, in the air or on the ground.