Safe Ice Melt to use around airplanes

I have a problem with ice at my hangar. The front of the hangar faces the north, the ice and snow melts off the roof and it falls in front of the hangar, where in then refreezes because its now in the shade. I have had the hangar for 5 years and each year despite my best continuous effort the situation becomes so bad I just give up and don't fly for a couple of months. This year winter seems to have come early here in the north east and I am already dealing with ice that I would not normally see until later in the season. I am wondering if there are any safe ice melt products on the market that could be of some help to me. Thank you....

Comments

• This is amazing. I spent 3 hours on Friday of this week trying to get my hangar doors open from the same problem that you have. Let me do some research and see what I can find for both of us. Stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you. I see that Aircraft Spruce has a few products but it seems these would be expensive in dealing with a large area like the width of a hangar. I was hoping there was something available at the local hardware store that is reasonably priced and safe. Dream on right??? Let me know if you come up with anything...... Thanks again

• My hangar doors are "sliders" with the doors rolling on steel "ribbons" ground mounted. Similar to above, my doors were always becoming encased in ice after melting snow dripped off the roof into the ground. After 30 years I gave up and took a "Sawzall" and cut about 4 inches off the bottom of the sheet metal on the doors. That's enough to keep the doors above the glaciers that form...so far!! I would be concerned about the chemicals in "Ice Melt" attacking the wheels, brakes, hydraulic cylinders (retract) so I stay away from that product. Chains on my "tug" and liberal use of a snow shovel and/or snow blower round out the things I feel like doing in the winter here.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Thanks Jim,
    I have the same concerns that you have on my door. I'm looking, though, and maybe I'll come up with something. Maybe not, but it's worth looking...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited December 2018

NAAC, is the best product and what airports often use. Urea aka 46-0-0 a common nitrogen fertilizer is also used but is a bit more corrosive. Urea is often available in lawn and garden centers and may be labeled either as a fertilizer or deicer. Potassium Chloride aka 0-0-60 is sometimes used and is also a fertilizer but has a greater salt content than the other two. Any salt can be detrimental to steel or aluminum, but sliding into ditches, or falling down on ice, or dealing with frozen doors are worse so pick your poison This information comes from a friend who plows runways in Wisconsin.

Jim

• I found a video about NAAC and CMA, another choice.

Jim

• Thanks so much, Jim. I'm looking at the video now. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!