Just for fun...

So I recently learned what the switch on the bottom left of the picture is. I’ll buy lunch at JVL for the first person who can guess what it does. Hint: it has nothing to do with the HSI or LORAN. I’ll give the back story a little later.

Jim M.
PA-28R-200
Based at BUU
ATC Chicago TRACON

Comments

• Best guess is AP disconnect or avionics master switch.

• Electric trim on/off switch.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Two good guesses, but incorrect!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• A little bit of the story....I bought the plane last October and thought it was an inop switch because it looked like it controlled the nav source between NAV1 and the Loran (which has since been removed). From inside the cockpit, it seemed to have no function. I brought it in for annual about a month ago and my A&P figured it out for me....

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• There is a hint in this picture (the switches under the gps).

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• The suspense is killing me :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• So after I purchased the airplane, I realized that I couldn’t turn the strobe lights off with the anti-collision switch. They came on and off with the master switch. No night flying until I figured it out. I thought maybe the switch was worn out, so I found one from a salvage place online and brought it with me when the plane went in for annual.

Unrelated, I played with that unknown switch in flight a few times and decided it didn’t do anything. My voltmeter didn’t seem to move when I flicked it up or down, so I figured it wasn’t hooked up to anything.

A&P gave me an update on the annual and it turns out the “unknown switch” works the strobes. No new switch needed. While I was playing with it, I happened to have left it in the “on” position. So, mystery solved and I know how to turn my strobes on and off now.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• That was my guess. (just kidding, I hadn't a clue). :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!