KX-155

This is a tangent to my previous discussion item looking for avionics shop recommendations. I have a KX-155 Nav/Com with display issues and am having a hard time identifying a repair or replacement option. As has been pointed out on many forums Bendix King abandoned this market. As far as I have been able to determine, they do not offer a 14 volt replacement unit. Display repair is difficult to find, as new display units are not being made. Some avionics shops do offer repair, but cost is in the $2K neighborhood - a lot to pay to fix a 35 year old radio.
TKM advertises the MK 155 as a slide in replacement. Currently this unit is non-TSO'd. Also, their website does not offer any way to call them and discuss. Only option is to fill out a form. Filled it out, no reply.
Garmin GNC 225 seems like a nice (but pricey) unit. I do not like that only Com or Nav are displayed, you have to switch between which you want to see.
So, my question is - What are others doing for KX - 155 repair or replace?

Any suggestions or thoughts welcome.
Ben

Comments

• Correction to Gamin unit. GNC 255, not 225.

Ben

• edited May 22

Ben, I have a GNC 255 as my second radio, and it's a keeper! Crystal-clear sound, easy to program your most-used frequencies, I really like it!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Well, the GNC255 is the Cadallac solution and the MX-155 is the Chevy solution :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Harley. Appreciate the input. Did you have the 255 installed as a KX-155 replacement? If so, what was ballpark install cost?

Scott: Yes, agree, but like I said, I haven't had any luck getting a response from TKM.
    Ben

• Hi Ben,
    Here's the contact and email address for the general manager: Vic Casebolt vicc@tkmavionics.com I hope this helps, Vic is a good guy.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Ben, I had my local avionics shop guy the entire panel last winter, and the GNC 255 was installed then. They gave me a pretty good discount on all the new avionics I was buying, so the price I paid may not be what you pay.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Thanks Harley.

Scott: I will shoot Vic an email. Thanks.

Ben